Has Apple really stopped giving developer's licences?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by RunToTheHills, Jun 9, 2009.

1. RunToTheHills macrumors member

Heya everyone,

Is this true? Was it actually written or published somewhere that Apple has temporarily stopped giving out licenses to developers?

Thanks,
    Trav

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. RunToTheHills thread starter macrumors member

wait... lol what? i don't know what you mean by that. Ooohh wait, do you mean that they like, "re-open" in a week or something? I apologize but I'm honestly very out of the loop.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

How could a potential developer or wannabe developer not be in the loop? The 3.0 software will be released to the public in 1 week. You'd be paying $100 for 3.0 a week early. Bad business move any way you look at it.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Actually, he'd be paying $100 to be able to sell/post apps. Access to pre-release OS versions is rarely worthwhile except to developers. :)

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes that is true, but it seems rather clear that he wants 3.0. Maybe we (there were others) misunderstood the already unclear post.

Glad you're right behind me to make sure I get it right. ;)

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I'd suggest that the OP go to the iPhone dev website and try to purchase a license. duh.

8. RunToTheHills thread starter macrumors member

No, no, i'm not a developer by any stretch. I was merely curious to find out if the rumor was true... Now, with what JSW said below me, the plot thickens because...

... with this, I am wondering: 1) Available to the public, as in, it will be free? You won't need a (semi) established business to obtain the license? And two, with the license, will the license-owners be able to post & sell the apps on iTunes?

:)

9. JLatte macrumors 6502

1) You can download the SDK for free, and program apps with the simulator. You pay the $99 for the ability to sell the application on the app store (or free), and the ability to load the program and test it on your own iPhone or iPod touch device.

2) See 1)

3) Now that I've contributed something worthwhile, can I say RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!?? or am I going to get removed again? It's the song lol...

10. RunToTheHills thread starter macrumors member

Certainly hope you aren't removed for singing a great song! :D

Ok, it appears that I am, sad to say, very much not "with it" lol. I guess really, I'm just trying to find a 'yes' or 'no' to the following scenerio:

1) I pay a developer to develop my idea
    2) He develops it
    3) Can I go to apple and pay the $99 bucks to get it on iTunes? Or will they come back to me and say, "Sorry, we're not permitting anyone else to sell their apps on our iTunes store at the moment" ??

11. JLatte macrumors 6502

Ohhh...

Ok, well if you pay the $99 for the license, you will be able to put it on the store. Keep in mind, that even if there is a temporary hold time (which I haven't heard of), then there is still a hold time in general because they take a while to review your app before it goes public. Sometimes it's a couple of days to a couple of weeks, depending on the application.

I hope that made sense :)

*edit* Forgot the yes or no, lol...

Yes, you will be able to put it on the store.

12. RunToTheHills thread starter macrumors member

??????!!!!! A couple of days to a couple of WEEKS???? I was led to believe it was like, a YEAR!! :eek: Wow. My apologies for the ignorance.

I mean, really, I just thought of a funny idea for a game, so I got in touch with a developer that said he could create it, no problem. I don't even own an iphone/touch! (still using a classic 80gig... hey, works for me :)) So yes, I guess the logical next step was finding out how to actually make it available to the public. So, as the user 'Peace' said, I can just go on the iPhone dev website and purchase a license! That is pretty freaking cool, imo.

Thanks for your help, JLatte!!

13. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, to be a bit more precise, you pay to become a registered developer. Once you're a registered developer, you can submit apps. It's not really a license, per se, but effectively close enough to that.

14. RunToTheHills thread starter macrumors member

:eek: Whoa... uh oh... this sounds like a monkey wrench to me... So I pay Apple to be a registered developer- yet I hire another developer to do the work for me... Would Apple frown upon this? I mean... I have the developer's blessings and all!

Also- I hate to be an absolute pain, but can anyone provide a link which details how to purchase said registered developer thing?

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Learn more here. :) Click the "Enroll now" button when you're ready to buy.

It's fine to become a developer and then let someone else on your team do the coding. Likewise, it's fine to let them join and pay them an extra $99 to do so.

But I'd be surprised if they would be able to write the app but yet hadn't become an iPhone developer, unless they've been doing Mac development and/or using the free iPhone developer's kit.