Has Apple said how long they keep sent iMessages?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by rockinrocker, Jul 30, 2012.

1. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

It's not really a big deal, just curious more than anything else.

But do these just sit on a server some place forever? Have they said anything about how long they keep the info in/about the messages we send?

What about other notifications?

2. brylliant macrumors regular

brylliant

They haven't disclosed that information but I'm guessing they keep it for a very long time. How else would they be able to tell us how many iMessages have been sent since it launched?

3. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Ummm... they note how many have been sent. Delete. Don't reset the count... You're right though, Apple's software engineers probably are not capable of writing such a daunting code.

As far as how long they keep them, who knows. Seems like a pointless waste of infrastructure for Apple to hold on to them for a significant amount of time.

4. rockinrocker thread starter macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

I agree that it would be pointless (which doesn't, of course, mean they're not doing it), but can't imagine that even millions of ~100 character messages would really take up too big of a chunk of their data servers.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

There are other security implications with all forms of electronic communication, texts, iMessages etc. are retained by Apple on behalf of security organisations if flagged by them. Joe public need have no worries though, as posted above, it would require a lot of server capacity to keep every single message for any length of time

6. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

it's a safe bet that apple is required to keep it and then back it up somewhere else in case this information is needed... i.e. court cases etc.

7. rockinrocker thread starter macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

Who would be in a position to require something like that?

8. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

If someone were to be involved in a crime and there were messages sent from their phone planning out the details of said crime...

9. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

When you sync your iDevice (Which has iMessage) do your messages get synced too? I should remember this as I restored my iPhone a few weeks ago, but I think it doesn't.

10. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

It seems to be indefinitely, I have been able to pull up messages from last year. I'd have to check, but I think it may go all the way back to the iOS 5 beta when iMessage was first implemented.

They store any images/videos you send as well.

11. rockinrocker thread starter macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

Do you mean you pulled them from the server or locally from your iDevice or backup?

12. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

When I signed into iMessage on a MacBook Pro for the first time (Lion iMessage beta) it started downloading everything on my account from the beginning, attachments and all.

These were conversations that had been "deleted" on my iPad.

13. rockinrocker thread starter macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

Well I guess we have our answer then, eh? Apparently they're all saved in perpetuity.

14. gladoscc macrumors 6502

All iMessages are saved even if 'deleted'. NSA has a copy of 'em too.

15. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

mine didn't do that at all.

16. alexander25 macrumors regular

you watch too much tv.. put down the remote.