Has AT&T always moved up upgrades for iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jfrancis04, Jul 24, 2011.

1. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

Just wondering if AT&T has always moved up upgrades for iPhones as they did with with iPhone 4? Only reason I ask is bc my upgrade month currently shows November.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Up until now every year has been a special circumstance that A&T has allowed current iPhone owner to upgrade to the newest iPhone and they have no written policy on this, every year the rules change.

So far no one knows what the rules/qualifications are going to be or even a release date of the next iPhone, and so upgrade dates right now are meaningless.

3. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

Not sure if mine was changed or not. Contract end date is 01/12. I could have sworn my upgrade wasn't until the end of September 2011 but now it's saying I'm eligible. So I think mine was bumped up.

I don't consider it meaningless because I'm now eligible and know that I'll be able to get the phone day 1 vs. having to wait.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Maybe meaningless was the wrong word.

If person A's upgrade date says Aug 1st and person B's upgrade date says Oct 1st, as of right now since their is no release date for the next iPhone, then those dates are not a clear indication if you are or not going to be eligible for the next iPhone.

I believe when their is a release date set then maybe AT&T will make an announcement as to who will be eligible and maybe then move up upgrade dates.

5. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

The only reason that upgrades were moved up last year was to lock people in for two years before the Verizon iPhone was released. Don't expect any early upgrades this year unless your bill goes up.

6. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

I wouldn't be surprised if they still move people up. Think of it this way... My contract ends in January 2012. AT&T can...

Make me wait until the end of my contract in 6 months and I'm free to go to any carrier I choose. Or...

Let me upgrade to a new iPhone when it comes out in 2 months and lock me in for 2 more years.

I'm not saying people should expect to be bumped up but it would make sense on AT&T's part to do it.