Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
Okay,

Please read this, and please make sure you are not a victim of this as well. I am sure I cannot be the only one that is dealing with this glitch.

So I got an iPhone 3G today. However, in the process, I discovered that AT&T has been overcharging me $20 a month for the entire time that I have been with them (June 29th, 2007... when I got my original iPhone).

At launch last year, June 29th, I purchased an iPhone. I went home, and I activated my phone using the iTunes store. It was a brand new, individual AT&T account. Here are the rate plans as they were advertised on AT&T's site for the past year (screenshot from AT&T site)

rate-plans.jpg

I chose to go with the $79.99 plan (which included 900 anytime minutes, and unlimited data), plus unlimited text messaging for an additional $20 a month... bringing my plan to $99.99 a month without taxes.

Now, here is the problem. While I was purchasing my 3G phone, I discovered that AT&T has been charging me:

$59.99 for voice (note: AT&T sees the bundled voice/data as seperate units)
$40.00 for unlimited data (should have been $20 to make the bundle complete)
$20.00 for unlimited text
$119.99 Grand Total

When it should have been $99.99

Now, I need to reinforce what I said above. AT&T sees each portion of your plan as seperate... so even though the plan is marketed as $79.99 for voice/unlimited data, they (should) see it on their system as $59.99 voice plan, $20 unlimited data plan.

So... I got on the phone with AT&T while I was at the Apple Store and brought this to their attention. They maintained that the iPhone unlimited data plan was not included in the $59.99 voice plan, and was an additional $40.

Of course, I explained to them that voice/data should come to $79.99. Again, they denied that and said it was $40. After talking to her supervisor, I put an Apple Store employee on the phone so he could try to explain it to her... and since he had been selling the phones for the past year hopefully he'd have the credibility.

Wrong... again she denied it... as did HER supervisor. So, I activated my phone and left the store.

When I got home, I called AT&T again and I got stuck in an endless cycle of me trying to convince them the original iPhone data plans were bundled (seriously, I sent her to websites with screenshots of ATT's website with the rates... but she wasn't able to view them). Now, thankfully, and almost against all odds, I had gotten a girl who seemed like she actually cared about the situation I was in and was actually trying to figure it out and help... she spoke to 2 of her supervisors, who both denied the bundling and said the voice and data were sold seperately, data for $40, and then in a last ditch effort... she asked her 3rd, and last, supervisor.

The 3rd one actually did know they were bundled. She came back, got all of the notes from the account in front of her, and then told me that I was right.

She credited my account for the $250 ($10 extra)... and then fixed my plan so it was correct.

I urge everyone to call AT&T and MAKE SURE their plans are correct. As I said, I activated my phone and chose my plan on iTunes just like anyone else.

Just to confirm, here is what they should see for your plan (using a $59.99, 450 minute, plan for example):

$39.99 Voice
$20.00 Unlimited Data
$59.99

If you have unlimited text messaging, add $20 onto that.

I hope this helps save everyone the money I was almost out. If they made the same mistake on your account, and you need help convincing them, PM me and I can provide you with the info of the tech support girl who helped me and understands how to fix it.

nakile

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Uh, you know that AT&T raised the price of the plans, right?

450 minutes is $39.99 a month.
Unlimited data is $30 a month.
200 SMS messages is no longer included as standard, and cost $5 a month.

So it all ads up to a total of $74.99 a month for the basics. The new rate plans are on their website.

Edit: I think I read the post wrong. Sorry about that.

embrionyc

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2005
i knew it!

wow... thank you for posting this!

About every other month I stare at my bill and think... this doesn't add up. I never took the time to find proof that the $20 data rate was already included in the advertised price of the original iPhone plans. And the one time I decided to call and figure it out with them, they told me the same crap they told you the first couple of times.

I have to call them again it seems. Can you PM the name of the girl you spoke with and the day and time of day it was?

Thanks again!

Lexoticstylez02

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Mine has also been 119.99 a month and I had the same stuff you had 79.99 plan with unlimited text.. so it should be 99.99.

I've stared at the bill a few times to correct it and something always seemed a bit off but it turned out to be the $15.xx in government charges + taxes that was making it 119.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
One still must pay a bill each month that doesn't mathematically correspond to the services rendered. I fail to see what this has to do with living "paycheck to paycheck".

I set my bill to pay itself automatically. It could be a hundred times more and not really affect my current account balance. $20 isn't going to affect me.

Identity theft is not as rampant as you might think, the TV will tell you that it is but it really isn't. I don't know anyone who knows anyone whose identity has been stolen. :rolleyes:

PhightinPhils26

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2007
Philly
they didn't over charge you. As opposed to charging you 59.99+20+20 they charged you 59.99+40 (during last years launch the plan was called Media Max Unlimited (Unlimited Web and Text) Chillax! ;)

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Some people don't live paycheck to paycheck.

And most of us get to the point of not living paycheck to paycheck in part by reading our bills and making sure we're not getting fleeced.

Likewise, one doesn't have to be filthy rich to be cash-ignorant. If that's how you are with your income, then I guess a fool and his money are soon parted. :)

And FWIW: I've checked, and have been getting billed correctly.

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
they didn't over charge you. As opposed to charging you 59.99+20+20 they charged you 59.99+40 (during last years launch the plan was called Media Max Unlimited (Unlimited Web and Text) Chillax! ;)

Did you even read what I wrote?

The bill was:

59.99 Voice
40.00 Data
20.00 Unlimited text.

If you had read, you would know that ATT has credited me the $250 they overcharged me.

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
Mine has also been 119.99 a month and I had the same stuff you had 79.99 plan with unlimited text.. so it should be 99.99.

I've stared at the bill a few times to correct it and something always seemed a bit off but it turned out to be the $15.xx in government charges + taxes that was making it 119.

Yeah, after taxes 119 wouldn't be bad... but they were charging me $119.99 before taxes.

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
Did you even read what I wrote?

The bill was:

59.99 Voice
40.00 Data
20.00 Unlimited text.

If you had read, you would know that ATT has credited me the $250 they overcharged me.

I don't know what the $40 unlimited data is, but $20 unlimited text is a legitimate charge. That's an upgrade charge regardless what your iphone data plan is. I am suspecting that instead of the system recognizing you as an iphone user, which eliminates that $40 data plan option, they gave you something else.

toneloco2881

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
Gawd, I gave them my credit card number and they deduct whatever I owe on the 27th of the month (we pay about $62.25 per phone or $249 total per month)...:eek:
I just wanted to chime in here, and give my humble opinion that it is NEVER a good idea to have an automatic debit on a bill that is not completely set in stone. My brother during his summers in college worked at a cell carrier, and I can't tell you the horror stories he use to tell me about when someone would call in after their bill would shoot up to a few thousand dollars. It can be something as simple as an error in provisioning the account, or an unscrupulous rep flipping your features to gain commission when you call in; thereby taking you from a grandfathered unlimited plan to ppu.

Before you catch it your account is out of hundreds\thousands of dollars, and it is FAR easier to have someone listen to you when they don't already have your money. If it is convenience you're after, I like to have a little alarm reminder that alerts me in iCal and on my iPhone, that the bill due date is approaching. To each his/her own however. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.