Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
Has automatically mounting network volumes been deprecated in Sierra?

Well, not quite but read on...

I'm trying to automatically mount a network volume. My user name and password is correctly saved into my Keychain and the dialog box does get filled out correctly. But no matter how hard I have tried I can't pass my user name and password through to the network drive without pressing the 'Connect' button.

I have attempted all sorts of different types of syntax from ideas all across the web and it just refuses to happen.

And then I stumbled across this http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...plescript-mount-volume-keeps-asking-for-login hardly definitive, I know. But it got me wondering.

So... can you set up an automatic mount of your network drive in Sierra without having to press the 'Connect' button?

Reactions: jagooch

sibcc

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2015
La Jolla CA
Yes it does.
well.
Has automatically mounting network volumes been deprecated in Sierra?

Well, not quite but read on...

I'm trying to automatically mount a network volume. My user name and password is correctly saved into my Keychain and the dialog box does get filled out correctly. But no matter how hard I have tried I can't pass my user name and password through to the network drive without pressing the 'Connect' button.

I have attempted all sorts of different types of syntax from ideas all across the web and it just refuses to happen.

And then I stumbled across this http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...plescript-mount-volume-keeps-asking-for-login hardly definitive, I know. But it got me wondering.

So... can you set up an automatic mount of your network drive in Sierra without having to press the 'Connect' button?

No, because Apple has zero clue when it comes to interoperability with well known and widely deployed standards. They have dumbed down their once great OS into a consumer appliance that is increasingly being designed with the premise that their users are technical idiots. Sadly, even within the bounds of Apple's own playpen, namely, iCloud, robustness is seemingly not the goal, but rather, "glam and glitter."

Reactions: jagooch and dzj

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
I tried all sorts of wild and crazy things trying to avoid that password request dialog.
Nothing worked.
It may be time to write an AppleScript to do the network connection, and click OK in the dialog for me.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
AFAIK, there is a bug that prevents stored passwords from working correctly. This will certainly be fixed.

RiderX

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
My NAS automounts at boot time (NFS).

I also have encrypted sparse bundles which get mounted at login. Password in Keychain. Works as expected.

Reactions: grahamperrin

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
My NAS automounts at boot time (NFS).

I also have encrypted sparse bundles which get mounted at login. Password in Keychain. Works as expected.

Hmmm. I haven't tried NFS, only AFP and SMB. I wonder if that's the difference? What version of OS X are you using?

RiderX

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
Hmmm. I haven't tried NFS, only AFP and SMB. I wonder if that's the difference? What version of OS X are you using?

Now Sierra, before that El Capitan.

You can mount everything at login using login items. NFS automounter needs some editing of config files in /etc.

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
You can mount everything at login using login items.
How is that done ? Is a script needed ?

I have my iTunes library on an external HDD attached to my router and when I open iTunes, it always takes a while before a song starts playing. Or, if I'm just looking around, I'll often have "!" next to songs. That tells me that the network share isn't connected to yet, so iTunes thinks the song is missing.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013

You can mount everything at login using login items. NFS automounter needs some editing of config files in /etc.

I'm aware of login items, I have also tried various scripts. It's working for you but the point is it isn't working for anyone else on this thread.

I just want to make sure you read my post correctly? The network drives start to mount but you then have to press 'Connect'. Do you login into your network drive with a user name and password? Under Sierra it's not a fully automatic and silent process.

There is also some discussion about it here:- https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/auto-mount-network-share.1973381/

RiderX

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
How is that done ? Is a script needed ?

Drag it from Finder into your login items.

Basically, if you can double click it and it mounts, you can add it to login items. Then it will mount at login within a short delay.

Its a clever and simple solution, try it out!

MrHyde85

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2009
UK
I was using a script for many years by a developer I found on some UNRAId forums that have since broken with Sierra, so I reached out to him on Twitter and to fix his own issue and to make it simple for others he has made a simple app called Automounter.

auto.png

It has saved me having to constantly mess about with each OSX update.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/automounter/id1160435653?mt=12

Don MC

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2010
Finland
I was using a script for many years by a developer I found on some UNRAId forums that have since broken with Sierra, so I reached out to him on Twitter and to fix his own issue and to make it simple for others he has made a simple app called Automounter.

Thanks for the tip MrHyde. Seems to be working here.
Say, do you know what script this app uses? Or where can I find the original script you were using previously? Just out of curiosity.

speedingant

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2016
Thanks for the tip MrHyde. Seems to be working here.
Say, do you know what script this app uses? Or where can I find the original script you were using previously? Just out of curiosity.

Hi guys - I'm the developer. FYI, I'm not using a script. It's developed in Swift, using low level Apple frameworks to mount your volumes, which is automatically integrated with your system keychain.

Thanks for your support everyone! Feedback is welcome.

Sebski

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2016
UK

auto.png

Thank you for this! I've been trying to find what's happening with my Automator scripts since I've upgraded to macOS Sierra. I found your post today, purchased AutoMounter and got my problems solved! I have no idea why Apple made life more complicated for us. Is it for security reasons in this case? What security reasons? I can mount all my network drives as before but now I have to press Connect button. What kind of security is that? Come on Apple!
I even modified my Automator scripts so I had one script which mounts my network drives, this script is activated from a different script which waits 10 seconds and... presses the Enter key to accept connection. Crazy. But with this piece of software I don't have to worry about modifying my script to adjust them to multiple Macs on my network.

The author must have found a method to mount network/shared drives differently because they're not showing in the /Volumes folder. But I'm happy it just works.

Reactions: MrHyde85

Don MC

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2010
Finland
Hi guys - I'm the developer. FYI, I'm not using a script. It's developed in Swift, using low level Apple frameworks to mount your volumes, which is automatically integrated with your system keychain.

Thanks for your support everyone! Feedback is welcome.
Hi speedingant and thanks for the app. It saved my day. I previously used DriveMounter, but it too suffered from the problem.
I'll recommend your app to my friends for sure.

A short description page or FAQ page would be great. Although the app was very easy to use and I didn't need any instructions, there might be people who do.

The great thing is that it automatically re-mounts if it detects the drives have been unmounted. This is great for me, since I move around with my MPB a lot and it would be tedious to have to reboot or manually mount every time I get home and need to mount my NAS.

Can you tell me what the app does while I'm away from my home network? Does it keep scanning for my network drives or does it "give up" after it notices I'm disconnected from my (wired) LAN?

Reactions: MrHyde85

speedingant

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2016
Hi speedingant and thanks for the app. It saved my day. I previously used DriveMounter, but it too suffered from the problem.
I'll recommend your app to my friends for sure.

A short description page or FAQ page would be great. Although the app was very easy to use and I didn't need any instructions, there might be people who do.

The great thing is that it automatically re-mounts if it detects the drives have been unmounted. This is great for me, since I move around with my MPB a lot and it would be tedious to have to reboot or manually mount every time I get home and need to mount my NAS.

Can you tell me what the app does while I'm away from my home network? Does it keep scanning for my network drives or does it "give up" after it notices I'm disconnected from my (wired) LAN?

I'll work on a quick FAQ. I'm currently building in server discovery to aid configuration, which will be in the next release.

AutoMounter will poll every so often to check each servers service availability in the most efficient way possible (uses very little energy). It will not try and mount any volumes until it knows that the associated service is available. I also rely on the OS detection of any network change to trigger a check on your services to ensure a quick re-mount once your server is available.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I'll work on a quick FAQ. I'm currently building in server discovery to aid configuration, which will be in the next release.

AutoMounter will poll every so often to check each servers service availability in the most efficient way possible (uses very little energy). It will not try and mount any volumes until it knows that the associated service is available. I also rely on the OS detection of any network change to trigger a check on your services to ensure a quick re-mount once your server is available.

Looking forward to that FAQ very much.

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Just bought this little app. Very very usefull. I guess I could have done the same with a shell script, some Applescript magic and messing around with login items, but this is much nicer.

Indeed the story is Apple doesn't allow to mount drives in /Volume anymore w/o root access. Using the mount_smbfs command you can mount to e.g. /etc. This what I hate about Apple and OSX. Just keep on making non-trivial changes nobody needs.

Don MC

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2010
Finland
Thanks for the 1.1 update to AutoMounter, speedingant. Very nice. And a good help page as well. Kudos.

speedingant

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2016
AutoMounter 1.2 being reviewed now, should be in your hands within next two days. Includes the ability to match a server with a WiFi access point name (SSID), send WOL packet to a server when the network changes, UI enhancements, Enhanced device discovery, and bug fixes.

pigsyn

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2015
France

Hello,

Would you mind sharing your conf if you're using autofs ? I have weird issues with mounts not reconnecting after sleep

Regards,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.