Has battery improved with 3.1?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ercanbas, Sep 9, 2009.

1. ercanbas macrumors regular

I have an issue with my battery life on my 3GS where it drains quicker than my 3G. I am on my second 3GS because of it however I run into the same problem. Is it me or do other people experience quick battery drainage? Anyway, does 3.1 solve this issue? I have the benm tethering and I heard 3.1 disables this, however if losing tethering means gaining battery life, I am willing to trade.

2. Mess macrumors 6502

Mess

the update has been out less than a day. So no one will have gone through a battery cycle yet.

Try updating and finding out. :rolleyes:

3. Dakk macrumors newbie

My battery life seems to be much improved. On my commute into work I usually stream Pandora (high quality turned on) in the car for about 30 minutes, then play games while listening to the iPod for another 30 minutes. By the time I get to work I'm usually sitting at 70-75%, this morning I'm at 85%. We'll see how it goes over the next few days though!

4. dukefan macrumors member

Both my wife and I have noticed significant battery drain over the past few days. I can't figure out what's going on. It's a noticeable difference - we saw it even before the 3.1 upgrade and after appears to still be having issues. She has a 3G I have a 3GS. Push notification is off.

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I am thinking the same thing. I've been using it on the bus more than usual but didn't use any maps today. Strange.

6. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

7. bobthecat23 macrumors member

8. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

The battery life of my iPhone 3GS is terrible. With 3.1, it became even worse. Usage stats are horrific: 1 hour, 17 minutes, and it's down to 21%. Standby is hardly 4 hours. :mad:

P.S. Push completely off, bluetooth off.

9. jason221 macrumors 6502

That is definitely not normal. Either try calibrating it a few times in the next month (let it drop to 0%, and when it displays 'plug into power' on the screen, let it charge to 100%) or go to Apple and get help.

10. DarKeneD macrumors member

I can get usage like that if I'm playing a game. Heavy texting will be like 4 hours usage with 12 hours standby.

11. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

You know this does nothing for extending battery life but rather improves the accuracy of meter only.

12. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

From the Apple site:

Use iPhone Regularly
    For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

13. taewing509 macrumors newbie

same here, i take my phone off the charger around 6am, and go to school, and text and web surf a ton. its usualy down to 20% around 5-8pm. so i like my battery, the first 3GS i had would last like 2 hours, apple replaced