Has Disk Utility had any features added back in?

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by 4ndr3w, Jul 5, 2016.

1. 4ndr3w macrumors regular

This may be a personal opinion, but El Cap seems to have crippled one of the best tools on OS X, Disk Utility. Has anything changed in 10.12? Especially looking at resizing, merging and creating partitions on the main hard disk.

2. Ritsuka macrumors 6502a

The UI to create and resize partition is bigger and easier to use, and there is a new function to create a raid.

3. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

MrNomNoms

They've added back RAID UI functionality but I'm unsure whether that is a seperate application to Disk Utility.

4. orioncrystalice macrumors 6502

orioncrystalice

Has El Cap Disk Utility been nuked from orbit and replaced with something useful?

5. KALLT macrumors 601

I am not sure what you mean...

To my knowledge, only the RAID support was missing. Everything else can be found in other places of the system now. Permissions repair is handled by the system installer/updater and disc burning can be done with Finder.

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Disk Utility in MacOS Sierra is what the one in El Capitan should have been. IMHO it should be released for El Capitan users in a minor update at the same time as Sierra.

7. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Agreed Sierra fixed a lot of the issues with the old Disk Utility

8. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

I sure hope so since it seems that the older unsigned Yosemite version does not run in Sierra as it did in El Capitan.