Has everybody forgotten/gotten over custom text tones?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrat93, Oct 5, 2011.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I feel like NOBODY has mentioned that you can use custom ringtones as text tones in iOS 5. I thought this would be a much bigger deal. I remember this being on peoples' lists of 'most-wanted features' in iPhone OS 3. :p

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

But It Works

In IOS4 too, you just need a little app to record your tones, sync to iTunes and copy them back.

I have about 15 of them on my phone.

3. lionqueen macrumors 6502

Its one of my favve things about ios 5. Ive got the roadrunner theme as my general text tone, and custom ones for my close friends. I like knowing who's texting me before i even take my phone out, plus i just like using song clips rather than tones. Might be pointless to some but it's a feature i really like.

4. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Are you saying on an iPhone that's not jailbroken working off ios4 you can customise the text tones?

5. LivingLarge macrumors member

Wow! This is definitely something I over looked. I guess i should get the ios5 manual back out and see what's coming. I love this custom text tones thing :D

6. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

That only works for regular ringtones for incoming calls and alarms.

7. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

surprised the hell out of me last night as I was putting ios5 on....pretty cool. Every tone on phone can be made custom.

8. drew1319 macrumors newbie

Are these .m4r files, like the ringtones? All of my ringtones are too long to use as alerts, I'm going to edit some down to 1-2 seconds but I was just wondering what format to save them in. Thanks.

9. exhibit.b macrumors regular

Wasn't there supposed to be a "Tones Store" as well?

10. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

The button just links to the regular Ringtones store.

I wonder if they will start selling shorter tones to use for alerts other than the phone ring.

11. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

Wow. I never saw that information anywhere. I was always wondering why the ability was there for custom ringtones but all the text notification sounds were stock.

As weird as it may sound, that makes me very happy that they are changing that in iOS5.

12. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

Yup! You can select any of the current text tones, a new text tone called "Tweet", the original iPhone call ringtones, and ANY of your own personal ringtones you've bought or created in m4r format!

13. drew1319 macrumors newbie

Very nice - thanks for the info!
    I wonder how much they'll charge for ringtones - better be very cheap considering the short length and how easy it is to create your own.

Maybe they'll sell ringtone packs - that might be interesting

14. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

I feel like if they were to sell ringtone packs, they would have announced it at the event. There is a shortcut to the iTunes store ("Buy More Tones" at the top of every sound selection page.)

Based on the new text tones we got in 4.2, I don't think Apple quite understands that most people like quick, short text tones.

15. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

I hadn't heard this mentioned before. Custom text tones was the only reason I ever considered jail breaking.

Glad I can get this feature now without it :D