Has glass strengthened over iphone generations?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TorontoSS, Sep 21, 2014.

1. TorontoSS macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

Just wonder do you think the iPhone screen glass has become more scratch resistant over generations?

My first iPhone got a small scratch (4s). My 5s was tempered glass protected but my boyfriend has a naked 5s and no scratches. But being a guy theres no handbags or earrings for him.

Was wondering if over generations it's gotten better. I have a 6 now so would it be stronger than a 5s? Is "ion-strengthened" better?

2. coolfilmaker macrumors member

Yes. Corning has been working on better glass making processes. I think the original formula may have actually been many decades old.

3. TorontoSS thread starter macrumors 6502

That's good to note. Of course glass is still glass but better durability then.

4. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

The current iPhones use Corning Gorilla Glass 3, which is their most scratch and shatter-resistant product to date. Sapphire glass (which was originally rumored to be in the iPhone 6) is supposedly more shatter resistant, although some testing has shown the opposite to be the case.

5. TorontoSS thread starter macrumors 6502

So the iphone 6 using gorilla glass 3 whereas the iphone 4/4s and 5s did not?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its been improved, which is a good thing, though many of us were looking for Saphhire which is purported to be even stronger.

7. TorontoSS thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes there were lots of rumours about that. But read sapphire is more shatter prone.

8. bmms8 macrumors 68020

I may be wrong, but sapphire is supposed to be more scratch resistant and durable, but less shatter resistant.

9. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

The 5s/5c may have, Gorilla Glass 3 was introduced at CES 2013. Gorilla Glass 2 was introduced in 2012, so the 4s may have used it, but the 4 would have used the original Gorilla Glass.

Gorilla Glass (Wikipedia)

----------

It depends on whether you're using pure sapphire or a sapphire laminate on glass. Also, there are drawbacks to using sapphire glass over Gorilla Glass. This article has some interesting info on the rationale behind Apple using Gorilla Glass instead of sapphire glass in the iPhone 6/6+:

Why Apple Never Targeted Sapphire Glass (Tech.pinions)

10. bmms8 macrumors 68020

Great article! I thought the same in regards to orders with Corning, there is no way apple didn't have their glass in play for these phones well in advance