Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kewldewd

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
Normally Spotlight/Safari is my preferred search, but given this browser keyboard lag which apparently won't be fixed, I have switched officially switched over to Google. I wasnt sold on it before, but after this latest update the app is an absolute joy to browse on- esp the multiple scrolling tabs which save all my previous searches & the voice search hotbutton is accessible everywhere as well. Add in some 'NowNow' from cydia...well nownow lets not get ahead of ourselves ;)

Google just got served some Apple Pie on a golden platter!! Iphone already self-sabotaged themselves with this new lineup in many ways- software & hardware- and now onto the next step of the iOS takeover project, which is Google fully integrating with the iphone. Then it becomes much tougher to sell iphones just on name value & soon after android will drop some sexy hardware- LolliPOP goes the Cupertino bubble!! Keep your fingers on that sell button people...

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Spotlight search isn't available in my country anyways. :(

At any rate, I am using a google search prompt from launch centre pro if I want to quickly search for stuff.

I initially tried the google now app, but found some of its behaviour suspicious (like how it refused to quit in the background, and kept pinging my location), so I deleted it shortly after.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
Spotlight search isn't available in my country anyways. :(

At any rate, I am using a google search prompt from launch centre pro if I want to quickly search for stuff.

I initially tried the google now app, but found some of its behaviour suspicious (like how it refused to quit in the background, and kept pinging my location), so I deleted it shortly after.

That is how Google Now works, by giving you cards based on location and repeated trips to locations...

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Until I can change the default browser, I can't take any other options seriously.

Safari works perfectly well for me anyway.

PS. And I am aware of jailbreaking, I'm just not interested.

odditie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Actually the opposite. I found the google app's odd design so frustrating and convoluted that I switched to safari for my searching.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Normally Spotlight/Safari is my preferred search, but given this browser keyboard lag which apparently won't be fixed, I have switched officially switched over to Google. I wasnt sold on it before, but after this latest update the app is an absolute joy to browse on- esp the multiple scrolling tabs which save all my previous searches & the voice search hotbutton is accessible everywhere as well. Add in some 'NowNow' from cydia...well nownow lets not get ahead of ourselves ;)

Google just got served some Apple Pie on a golden platter!! Iphone already self-sabotaged themselves with this new lineup in many ways- software & hardware- and now onto the next step of the iOS takeover project, which is Google fully integrating with the iphone. Then it becomes much tougher to sell iphones just on name value & soon after android will drop some sexy hardware- LolliPOP goes the Cupertino bubble!! Keep your fingers on that sell button people...

Started out a good valid question & comment... then rapidly devolved into some ridiculous nonsense. =/

I like both Apple & Google... and sold all my stock in both to buy the house I currently live in.
But one silly thing I hear Android people say (seemingly, to explain why they use Android phones), is "I'm Google all the way... I just love their free services".
I always like to reply with: "For sure, me too! That's one awesome thing about my iPhone... I use Google Calendar, contacts, & Gmail... fully integrated into my OS... and Google Now and Docs and Drive and Maps and Hangouts and search, and even the brand new beta service, Inbox!... See, I ALSO have the luxury of using Siri and Pages and Apple Maps, and iMessage in addition or instead if I choose. Sucks for you that you don't have that option. Guess I get the very best of both worlds! Also... let's open a few Google apps side by side, like Google Voice for example & marvel at how much better of an app it is on iOS compared to its "native" OS, Android".
Lol... you are sooooooo confused on what makes a phone desirable. Apple won't make ApplePay for Android... or continuity or handoff.. or FaceTime or iMessage... or any of its other services. Yet, Google will make ALL of its services available on iOS. This to you is a win in Google's book?????!
More like, their Achilles heel. C'mon man.

IHelpId10t5

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2014

Are you stoned or do you always make so little sense?

kewldewd

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
Are you stoned or do you always make so little sense?

I'll have to plead the 5th on this one haha

So my question wasnt intended to be a google vs apple thing just wondering how others had liked the multi-tab browsing in the updated google search app.

I don't like google having so much access to our personal info either, but what do you imagine happens when your device plugs into iTunes? Its the same across the board- if there's a dollar to be made from selling you out then it very well may happen so it's ultimately your own responsibility to secure that data. Yes google screwed up many yrs back but to just focus on that & ignore what they did to bring some much needed continuity into the internet for the average consumer is not fair...and guess what these people don't even give a damn about google pooling their info!

Anyways the app is great & def suggest you all have a look, if not the whole package then atleast try as an alternative search engine. May need to get stoned first to open up to the evil G LOL but seriously you might just enjoy it...may even turn that frown upsidedown...

...and then if you still dont like it you can always clam back into that aluminum&glass framed shell if you choose

----------

i love your username

Thanks yeah I didnt need to add numbers or edit it otherwise, which is usually the case, guess I lucked out there aren't any other kewldewd's on here hehe

kewldewd

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
Gotta admit I'm missing the Reader View feature from Safari...time to conclude this little experiment haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.