Has iChat video ever worked?!?!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sharky II, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

Man, i've probably gotten it to work 2-3 times max. It's such a hassle - skype never fails because of stupid router crap, yet iChat is so sensitive to it.

I thought Leopard would bring an end to all this, but it's exactly the same as it was before... useless...

What's the deal here?!!?!

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It works for me, never used to, but Screen Sharing does not (have not tried with 10.5.2, hopefully will work when I get Time Capsule).

3. mantic macrumors 6502a

It has pretty much always worked for me as long as the person on the other end has what they need to.

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

5. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Mac-to-Mac video chat and screen sharing work great for me. Video quality is noticably better in Leopard. I use it daily and it works flawlessly for me.

I did have TONS of issues using iChat with the Windows AIM client though. Very difficult to get working, and tons of firewall issues.

I don't have ANY issues with iChat-to-iChat though...

6. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

have iChat video and screen sharing everyday in my house and got Back to my Mac to work working at to Mom's house across the state! I can share her screen could use Photo Booth to monitor her every move if so wanted hahahahha.

7. Sharky II thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

No one with the fabled 'user failed to respond' error then?

Lucky you guys :rolleyes:

I guess the problem is with my friends netgear wgr614v6 router. I'm going to try to sort it now

8. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Is your friend using a Mac also?

The failed to respond issue means that your machine is not seeing their connection. Mostly likely that the firewall on his machine is blocking something?

I used to have to open all kinds of ports (on both ends) to get iChat to work with Windows AIM. Since I moved to an all-iChat connection, I haven't had to mess with any of the firewalls.

I have an Airport Extreme, but I have connected to people who are behind D-links, Netgear's, etc.

How about the software firewall - have you tried turning that off on both ends (assuming you are both behind a hardware firewall)?

Does the remote end see your iChat connection, and then nothing starts when they click accept?

Might check the connection dr. in iChat also...

Universal PnP on your router is also supposed to help...

9. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I never used to get it to work properly until very recently, when it's worked flawlessly.

10. Sharky II thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

Well it hardly ever worked with anyone when i was in the USA. Now back home in the UK i have an Airport Express at my house. And, all mac users running ichat here!

My buddy has a netgear wgr614v6 wireless router. We can connect ok for video (although pictures always mess up when trying to send them!).

However i cannot talk to my sister on her macbook at her place (linksys wireless router there), and my friend can talk to one of his friends, but not the other.

He doesn't have the software firewall on.

Turn UPnP is turned ON, on the router

I'll look into it more... cheers

11. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Ever since I bought my iMac, iChat video has worked for both iChat and AIM users I connect to. I'm behind a linkSys router, same as parents.

I've used it both on Tiger and Leopard.

12. Muzzway macrumors regular

I have to try countless times to be able to video chat with my friend who uses Windows (the same with Skype, although it seems to take fewer attempts).

13. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

I had that problem vid chatting with my Mother then she had some guys fix it. Wish I knew how they did it. She was not behind a router, just the cable modem connected directly to the Mac.

14. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

my new imac didn't work, i had to play with port forwarding then it worked. Until this latest update, something happened and it's not working anymore!!!!! I thought apple stuff was supposed to be easy

15. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

i finally came out on top of an endless battle with ichat video failures... the keys to getting it to work for me was to make sure internet sharing was disabled in preferences (i use ethernet sharing to get a wireless signal to my xbox360) and setting a bandwidth limit in the audio/video tab of ichat preferences as apparently my isp likes to throttle bandwidth to suppress torrent seeders/leachers or something

16. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

17. jhsfosho macrumors 6502

I've always had problems with ichat video until 10.5.2, now I can connect to AIM clients running windows 50% of the time. I haven't tried other ichat users yet though.

18. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Its always worked for me. its not exactly an easy thing to pull off, so im actually surprised I haven't had problems.