Has iOS 7 gone in the completely wrong direction?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by syd430, Jun 17, 2013.

1. syd430, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013

syd430 Guest

Every single discussion that i've come across so far eventually reverts back to a narrow set of issues which are to be expected from the first beta of a completely overhauled OS:

- Bugs
    - Design and usability issues
    - Overall animation and transition speeds
    - Aesthetic opinions (yes that includes those icons!)

What all these issues have in common is that they will largely be ironed out or addressed in some form before launch. This is the reason we keep seeing this response in almost every thread:

"It's a beta!"

I want this thread to be a little different though. I want it to be "it's a beta!" proof.

Let's be honest, certain elements are almost definitely going to survive until launch:

- The overall look and feel
    - The use of a thin varient of Helvetica Neue system wide
    - The use of translucency and the emphasis on context
    - The reduction of gesture cues ("removing the training wheels")
    - The big new features
    - The overall direction that iOS has taken

All of these are likely to remain largely the same by the time the GM is finally available.

What i've been wondering is, is this the natural evolution of iOS? The direction that iOS was always meant to go. Or has it gone completely off the rails and lost its intuitive roots? Where is everything heading functionality wise? Has iOS become more form over function? I'm honestly torn.

2. .sky macrumors newbie

I think we'll all be a lot calmer once they add some drop shadows on homescreen icons and text, and tweak some of the new icons so they look less hurried.

Other than that... I can't decide if I like the UI of iOS 7 or the one of iOS 6. I'm not even sure that a UI change was needed. Everyone was clamouring for more inter-app communication features more flexibility in the iOS... instead we got Jony Ive on a rampage, which isn't the worst thing in the world, but it wasn't #1 on anyone's iOS 7 wishlist.

3. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Funny you say this as the poll in iOS 7 wish list thread had new UI as the #1 thing people wanted to see in iOS 7. For anyone to claim new UI wasn't on people's wish list is ridiculous. Also if people think Apple could have announced iOS 7 with the same UI as iOS 6 and not gotten any flack for it they're dreaming.

4. jbenkelman macrumors 6502

jbenkelman

I think we will see some work done with the font in terms of readability on ANY background, but I think the icons will remain pretty much unchanged.

Apple put a lot of thought into the icons, and when looking at my home screen the new icons do stand out among the other apps I have. I think they are starting a change toward more simple, grab your attention with a correct color choice/white space balance. That being said...safari could use some work. Lol.

We shall see!

5. .beam. macrumors member

'It's a beta' means nothing. It's gonna look and behave exactly the same when it comes out.

6. .sky macrumors newbie

I guess I never saw this poll. :(

I never claimed that.

Yeah, but Apple gets flack for literally everything they do.
    They're getting flack right now for the iOS 7 interface.
    The UI change is not a flack avoidance behaviour. :rolleyes:

iOS still has all the same problems it had this time last year.
    With the exception of Control Centre (which is very good), iOS is still as stale as ever. The UI is certainly different, but I don't like it any better than iOS 6's UI. iOS 7 doesn't take the software further in any meaningful direction.

7. jbenkelman, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013

jbenkelman macrumors 6502

jbenkelman

How quickly people forget. Lol. I remember seeing a thread that warned people that they were setting themselves up for failure with their high expectations and dramatic requests.

I feel like apple gave us enough to work with for a year. I know it's too soon, but imagine what another year of work will do to this new UI. I'm excited for the next few generations after ios 7.

----------

Ain't that the truth. If one thing can be said about this reaction, it's that Apple fans are opinionated and not afraid to speak their minds. In the whole spectrum of people who will us iOS 7, I think that most will be pleased with the changes (especially the people who don't care enough to be in a forum about it) and the general population will welcome it.

8. syd430 Guest

I guess that's one of the main reasons I made a new thread. A lot of discussion on minor UI and design stuff, but little talk about where everything is heading functionality wise. Other than picking up some Android stuff (control centre, animated wallpapers), it all seems a bit aimless functionality wise. What is a smartphone meant to do in a few years time other than looking different? Way too much emphasis on design at the keynote imo.

9. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Some people are. But maybe they're the ones who liked iOS 6 as is.

How much have you actually used iOS 7? And what exactly are you looking for that wouldn't make it stale? Widgets? Live tiles?

----------

And I thought the opposite. I thought Federighi's demo was mostly about features.

10. syd430 Guest

"Exactly the same" might be a bit of a stretch, but there are definitely people here that seem to think (or wish) that GM version of iOS 7 is going to be a whole new experience from beta 1. It's not going to happen.

11. .sky macrumors newbie

I have it installed on my main device, and I've been using it since the moment it was released.

Tangible features and increases in functionality, perhaps?

Honestly, there hasn't been a proper iOS update since iOS 5.

- iOS 6 added literally nothing (seriously, look it up) except the new Maps.
    - iOS 7 added control centre (hey, a feature!) and overhauled the UI in response to some Twitter bloggers who read the Wikipedia page on "skeuomorphism".

I've already given two examples of what features could've been added to iOS (inter-app communication and more flexibility (which can encompass a whole truckload of features)).

I feel that a lot of people are missing the forest for the (very flat, white) trees. iOS 7 is yet another non-update in functionality. It will not change the way I use my iPhone every day, nor will it change what I can do with my iPhone every day. It adds nothing and changes nothing.

I wouldn't say iOS 7 has gone completely in the wrong direction, but it's certainly not going in the right direction. Rather, it's turned off the track and started running naked through the bushes, shouting about "green felt" and "depth".

12. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I think we will get some of those changes. Cook hinted at it when he spoke at D11. And I look at iOS 7 as a beginning, not the be-all end-all. And I think you're shortchanging the features when you say all it got was control center. Personally I think I will love the new notification center, multitasking features and airdrop. And who knows what else that hasn't been talked about yet. I'm not suggesting there isn't more Apple can do but geez Federighi just took over iOS last October and same with Ive and HI. For me the blame lies squarely with Jobs and Forstall who allowed the competition to leapfrog iOS. Federighi and Ive are now playing catch up.

13. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Every time a forum member makes a topic discussing the UI elements of iOS 7, God kills a puppy.

14. .sky macrumors newbie

Good thing nobody believes in puppies these days then.

15. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

• The overall look and feel (agree)
    • The use of a thin varient of Helvetica Neue system wide(Disagree - I think the bolder option may become default with option for thinner)
    • The use of translucency and the emphasis on context (agree)
    • The reduction of gesture cues ("removing the training wheels")(Maybe, there may be some put back in for complicated things)
    • The big new features (agree - I wouldn't be surprised to see some removed or changed though)
    • The overall direction that iOS has taken (agree)

16. iOSOS macrumors member

I totally agree with you! I like some elements of iOS 7 but that's it. I miss the curved menus that made settings stand out, the buttons and the silver menu style in maps. I would rather have silver elements than white color for everything. iOS needed a makeover but it was hastily done. Did Apple forget that users applaud Apple when the new style for maps was introduced for iOS 6? After using iOS 7 all day my eyes are tired due to all white color. I also think the new interface feels cluttered and we shouldn't get started on Siri. You can't read some of the answers. Web searches should be displayed on a white background. How many would use Google if they had a gaussian blur background and very small text? I have always loved Apple devices but I am really contemplating going over to Android. The only reason why I hesitate is because I like Hipstamatic and Apples podcaster application. If the Mac gets the same treatment as iOS 7 I will not upgrade my Mac operating system next year.

17. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

After a week under the beta these are my opinions:
    -Im not too fond of the overall look and feel. Ive always found the gloss and metalics beautiful. The plain color pastel and white is just not my style

-I like the use of this font

-Im neutral about this. I think it was clever to add that effect, it makes it look nicer. But its too dependent on what on the background. So if youre on a site with ugly colors, the translucency will reflect on that.

-This is one thing Im against. While we iOS users know which way to slide to unlock, a new user may not know. To be honest, after the beta I was hoping the slide to unlock would work in any direction. Even after knowing, I sometimes tried to slide from right to left to unlock the lock screen. The arrow block helped the subconsious mind realize what to do. I think removing cues will hurt in the simplicity of the OS.

-LOVE THE FEATURES! despite flat out stealing the multitasking from WebOS, it was the best decision apple has made for the update. I also like how the removed the dedicated spotlight search page and made it a gesture (pull down on any page of the home screen to bring it up). Airdrop and control center a definite + also. I like having quick access to a calculator and flashlight without having to search for an app. The new siri toggle commands are definitely great. Dont care too much for iRadio though.

Overall. Im not too pleased with the direction iOS is going in. While the features are something great, that was something theyve been doing since iOS started. Features have slowly been added in a nice and structured way. But the redisigned look seemed nothing more than change for the sake of change.

Personally, Im hoping they do some major tweaking to the look by the time the GM is released. Otherwise I probably will remain on iOS 6 for years to come.