Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
If Steve dying had any sort of effect then personally I believe it comes down to this, rather than your explanation.

Steve was a check on Jony Ive's excess. Now that check is gone and Ive only answers to Cook. Cook is a manager, not a designer so Ive pretty much gets his way - even if it's crap.

Since Ive was also placed in charge of iOS development then we get garbage like dancing poop emojis and unicorns that are marketed as features rather than focusing on fixing bugs or implementing real features.

In short, I blame Ive, not Cook.

I can follow the line of reasoning up until the last statement. Cook IS the single point of responsibility for Apple. He’s the CHIEF Executive Officer! If the excuse is that he’s a ‘manager’ and not a ‘leader’, then it’s ultimately Cook’s fault for continuing to lead an organization that is beyond his capability. IMO, Cook is the premiere example of the Peter Principle in action, and now he seems to exist for stockholder value which ultimately benefits him every time he cashes in stock options. He loves to get involved in political discussions but seems lost when it actually comes to leading creative development.

The fact is, under Cook there are far too many occasions in which it DOESN’T ‘just work’.

JMHO

Reactions: Feyl

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I’ve been using iOS since I got an iPod Touch at Costco in 2010. Maybe its because iOS has to handle so many more things in 2018 than it did in 2010, but I can’t help but wonder if all these bugs I experience now are the result of Apple being under new leadership.

With Steve Jobs, employees feared making a mistake, because he didnt hesitate firing them. They were also starved to get some of his approval. Then he had that reality distortion field, which motivated his teams to accomplish almost impossible tasks. Engineering problem solving. Meeting ridiculously short deadlines. The original mac team did amazing things.

Tim Cook is a warm, empathetic, well tempered manager. But I believe that his staff loosened their belts and relaxed when he came on board, and now it shows in their work. I think the fact that the departure of a few key players is also a factor.

I encounter so many little mishaps. Siri doesnt respond. My set timer disappears. My screen wont reorientate. Apps crash more often. Updates are pushed out more often, resembling Windows critical updates.

Apple certainly had their share of blunders when Jobs was CEO, but those occasional issues were resolved in a timely matter. This handful of small issues I have persists. Even after new iOS versions, and even after my phone was replaced with a new one.

Anyone else feel the same way?

More buggy? Who can really say. More complex? Certainly.

Any program code larger than 20-30 lines is almost certain to have "bugs" or display unexpected results given the perfect conditions. Programmers are human. The code is immensely complex. It's a fact of life, and absolutely true irrespective of who the CEO is.
[doublepost=1539702269][/doublepost]
iOS is dated and childish, the richest company on earth can only come up with this, lol pathetic. My jailbroken 4S had more features. I still can’t even properly copy and paste.

That would be why God gave us Android. You have choices. Exercise them.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I can follow the line of reasoning up until the last statement. Cook IS the single point of responsibility for Apple. He’s the CHIEF Executive Officer! If the excuse is that he’s a ‘manager’ and not a ‘leader’, then it’s ultimately Cook’s fault for continuing to lead an organization that is beyond his capability. IMO, Cook is the premiere example of the Peter Principle in action, and now he seems to exist for stockholder value which ultimately benefits him every time he cashes in stock options. He loves to get involved in political discussions but seems lost when it actually comes to leading creative development.

The fact is, under Cook there are far too many occasions in which it DOESN’T ‘just work’.

JMHO
If I understand you correctly you are blaming Cook for an inability to reign in Ive?

If so, yeah, I can see that as a failing. And so from that perspective, yeah Cook is responsible. But I see the main failing as Ive.

As a designer myself, unless I have someone to answer to I tend to think all my ideas are good ones. Ive only has to answer to Cook and since Cook isn't qualified to 'know' what's good design or not he defers to Ive. Ive then is not self-editing.

Have you ever heard him in an interview? He's flat out arrogant. He may claim once in a while that they try certain things and they fail but that's disingenuous. He's going to run with his ideas regardless of what Cook or anyone else thinks. He just doesn't put that out there because he knows how it would make him look. And as the lead designer for Apple he's still in a spot where public criticism can affect him.

Cook's inability or unwillingness to reign Ive in is a failing, sure. But I again blame Ive because his arrogance doesn't allow room for criticism of his work.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If I understand you correctly you are blaming Cook for an inability to reign in Ive?

If so, yeah, I can see that as a failing. And so from that perspective, yeah Cook is responsible. But I see the main failing as Ive.

As a designer myself, unless I have someone to answer to I tend to think all my ideas are good ones. Ive only has to answer to Cook and since Cook isn't qualified to 'know' what's good design or not he defers to Ive. Ive then is not self-editing.

Have you ever heard him in an interview? He's flat out arrogant. He may claim once in a while that they try certain things and they fail but that's disingenuous. He's going to run with his ideas regardless of what Cook or anyone else thinks. He just doesn't put that out there because he knows how it would make him look. And as the lead designer for Apple he's still in a spot where public criticism can affect him.

Cook's inability or unwillingness to reign Ive in is a failing, sure. But I again blame Ive because his arrogance doesn't allow room for criticism of his work.
How do you know cook hasn’t reigned in Ive? Why does he need reigning in?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
How do you know cook hasn’t reigned in Ive? Why does he need reigning in?
I don't know for a fact, but I speculate.

As to why…well not everyone happens to think that dancing unicorns, poop emojis and various other irritants are actual features. But apparently Ive and his designers think they are.

There's stuff Apple has never implemented that I'd like to see as a feature. But it would mean more control on the part of the user than Apple is willing to give up.

Hence the other garbage gets touted as features.

Reactions: dk001

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I don't know for a fact, but I speculate.

As to why…well not everyone happens to think that dancing unicorns, poop emojis and various other irritants are actual features. But apparently Ive and his designers think they are.

There's stuff Apple has never implemented that I'd like to see as a feature. But it would mean more control on the part of the user than Apple is willing to give up.

Hence the other garbage gets touted as features.
I love all the hubris surrounding the Animoji’s and emojis. So I’m on that end of it.

But unlike posters who seem to feel emojis are a critical path item to not getting features implemented in iOS, (you and I) know differently.

As far as the stuff you would like to see implemented, keep pressing that feedback button.

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
No, iOS 3 and 4 were complete **** shows on launch, much worse than iOS 11 or 12 was. Despite much less functionality.

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
No, iOS 3 and 4 were complete **** shows on launch, much worse than iOS 11 or 12 was. Despite much less functionality.
Much less funcionality, are you serious? Copy & paste, multitasking, folders, home screen wallpaper, HDR photos, faster Safari nitro engine, etc. are small features to you? These “small” examples completely changed how we use our iPhones. iOS 12 and not even iOS 11 made such big steps forward.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017

I remember iOS 4 being really stable - but it was my first experience of iOS (3GS).

The much vaunted iOS 6 I remember being really disappointing as it didn’t change too much from 5. It felt like iOS had run out of ideas st that point. The skeumorphism was getting really tired at that point too.

5 I remember being very stable and was probably the highlight of the Forstall era for me.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I’ve been using iOS since I got an iPod Touch at Costco in 2010. Maybe its because iOS has to handle so many more things in 2018 than it did in 2010, but I can’t help but wonder if all these bugs I experience now are the result of Apple being under new leadership.

With Steve Jobs, employees feared making a mistake, because he didnt hesitate firing them. They were also starved to get some of his approval. Then he had that reality distortion field, which motivated his teams to accomplish almost impossible tasks. Engineering problem solving. Meeting ridiculously short deadlines. The original mac team did amazing things.

Tim Cook is a warm, empathetic, well tempered manager. But I believe that his staff loosened their belts and relaxed when he came on board, and now it shows in their work. I think the fact that the departure of a few key players is also a factor.
Steve's employees weren't fearful of being fired or of making a mistake. If they feared anything from Steve, it was the possibility of occasional humiliation. Not a steady diet of it - a little can go a long way. Steve's goal was to challenge people to do better. Fear rarely does that, it simply teaches them how to avoid the whip. Life inside a reality distortion field can be exhausting. It's rarely a model for long-term survival.

When Apple was a small enterprise, a strong personality like Steve's could permeate the operation. When it attains the size of today's Apple, even Steve wouldn't be able to make a dent outside a very small circle. Steve may have imagined himself wandering the halls of Apple Park, but in practice, he couldn't have afforded to wander very far at all.

A small operation can be "run." A large operation must be governed and lead, not driven with a stick. You can't run an institution with over a dozen layers of management on "kick the dog" behavior. If you give thousands of managers the power to humiliate or instill fear, the only takeaway the rest of the staff gets is, "Life here is arbitrary and capricious." A middle manager who bullies is not admired, and if the company tolerates or rewards that bullying it gets no respect or loyalty from the staff.

I've worked in small enterprises with Steve-like leaders. On a day-to-day basis it could be hell, even if long-term the company achieved great things. We had some people who hid in their offices, shuffling papers. Others excelled, and by excelling avoided the bosses temper. A few regularly run afoul of his anger, but rarely excelled. None of those companies exist today.

I think people give too much credit to the personalities of the executives at the top of the pile. Apple's successes weren't "all about Steve," and today they're not all about Tim. Whether it's a corporation or a nation, the institution has to take on a life of its own, with a population that understands the values that make the institution what it is, and that strives to make it "a more perfect nation." Without that, all you have is people collecting pay checks (or failing to show up at the polling place); the road to mediocrity. Tim is, without a doubt, a "values" leader. While some will disagree with or openly mock his values, his goal is to make an Apple that is greater than any one leader; a company that can survive over the long haul.

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008

Nothing like taking as Gospel the words of a disgruntled fired employee.

The world's just changed since Jobs died. It's that simple. Release now, fix later is normal and people don't generally seem to have a problem with it (I don't like it personally).

We (the customers) don't help, buying anything and everything they release. Ultimately, for Apple to fix something it needs to believe there is a problem. It's worth a trillion dollars, making unbelievably large profits, and customer sat through the roof - this wouldn't exactly be setting alarm bells ringing. If customers are okay to accept "release now, fix later", why would they change it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.