Has iOS gaming lost it's hype?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by gadget123, Apr 2, 2013.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Anybody think there's now a lack of decent releases? When the App Store launched there was new games every week but in recent years some games have been delayed like Real Racing 3 and have been a let down. Need for Speed axed The run game for IOS.

There's very few racing games and many of them still only support the old 3.5" screen. Also very few take full advantage of the new ipad 4 performance.

I think this talk of a new apple game controller may be a good thing. Not that I'm keen to use it but it might kick start the app gaming market again.

2. Random 995K macrumors 6502

Bastion and modern combat 4 say hello :)

3. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

To answer your question - yes it had.

My speculation as to why has to do with money. Companies have figured out that they can make a lot of money releasing the same game under a new GUI. I don't want to place the entire blame on the appstore's policy but it takes some of the blame, the rest is on people figuring out what is more profitable - just like how the rest of the world operates. It won't always be this way, but for now it is.

4. GBR macrumors 6502

I think the newness of playing games on a quality touchscreen has worn off. I know I hardly play any games on my iPhone or iPad anymore, I turn on my Xbox 360 to do that. I have found it is more enjoyable to have the precise controls when using an actual controller rather than soft buttons on a touchscreen. It is really hard to make a quality, in-depth game on a small touchscreen. Thats why Angry Birds is so popular on phones, simple and repetitive, but you would never play one on a XBOX360 or PS3

5. irDigital0l Guest

iOS was never meant for gaming.

It never had the gaming hype compared to Xbox 360 or the PS4.

Unless Apple radically changes the game up by forcing more expensive prices for better quality games, totally revamping Game Center, releasing a dedicated gaming controller, etc. I dont see much changing.

76% profit is made through free to play on iOS.

But gaming has never been Apple's interest (hint: Mac, Apple TV, etc.)