Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will this year be the year iPhone sales stop growing?

• Yes

Votes: 19 65.5%
  • No

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Never

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

doitdada

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
image.png

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Q4 is still not here - so 2016 sales may still get a big multi-million unit boost if the iPhone 7 is even a moderate hit. But the days of iPhone doubling its sales every year are over.

Long term, Apple design is being constrained by the the bald guy's brain case. His design paradigm worked in the late 2000's and early teens. Now, they need a fresh captain to drive the design landscape and put the bald guy to pasture.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
It's all about design, design is the best marketing tool, it's not a better CPU or a better RAM. Since design wasn't changed since the iPhone 6 in 2014, I'm not surprised the sales drop.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Q4 is still not here - so 2016 sales may still get a big multi-million unit boost if the iPhone 7 is even a moderate hit. But the days of iPhone doubling its sales every year are over.

Long term, Apple design is being constrained by the the bald guy's brain case. His design paradigm worked in the late 2000's and early teens. Now, they need a fresh captain to drive the design landscape and put the bald guy to pasture.
I think sales for each year go from Q3 to Q3. Maybe someone can verify?

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
This year's iPhone is not going to impress the people using iPhone 6 or 6s (thanks to the same two years old design)or people using small screen who recently got an upgraded iPhone SE,the audio jack removed which will be turning point for millions of people who use it every day,so nothing seems in favor of the new iPhone so pretty much the sales are going to drop

Reactions: Sam_S and IronH4WK

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
No headphone jack I'm sure will bother many and I think the amount on here who said are getting the note 7 is quite amazing. I think plenty of people will be doing so then seeing if Apple are worth returning to next year. Which won't be easy as another year on the comp will continue to get better and better

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
LOL! Does it matter if sales have peaked or not?

Apple's valleys are higher in sales volume than most manufacturers peaks.

So, whether Apple has peaked or not, right now Apple is in no danger of going out of business.

Reactions: M. Gustave

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I think sales for each year go from Q3 to Q3. Maybe someone can verify?

I think Apple's financial year does, but this chart was done by Business Insider/ Morgan Stanley: I am assuming they are using a more calendar year based accounting.

doitdada

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
https://www.statista.com/chart/1999/iphone-sales-by-type-of-purchase/

Depends on your perspective. Looking at the chart, iPhone sales to NEW customers has been in a decline since 2012. Apple needs some new markets. China sales have dropped. India sales are perking.

Great infographic. I also agree with another and more recent infographic from the same site. The amount of models, features and brands are overwhelming. Most of the functionality in smartphones was introduced by 2012 and releases after 2013 have focused more on form factors and gimmicks rather than groundbreaking mobile experiences.

image.jpeg

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
This.

4Q isn't included and I highly doubt they won't break 13M. Relax OP. Your overthinking this. Wait for the final 2016 numbers.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
It's all about design, design is the best marketing tool, it's not a better CPU or a better RAM. Since design wasn't changed since the iPhone 6 in 2014, I'm not surprised the sales drop.
If it was all about design, then why did the S7 edge outsell its predecessor when it practically looks the same? If it was all about design, why did iPhone 6 sell the most only for 2015/6s year to surpass 2014 in sales? If it was all about design, why is 2016 only 13M short from 2015's without its last quarter? Why did the SE sell well when it practically looks the same from the 5 series? Better CPU and faster RAM doesn't matter? Are you sure?

It isn't all about design when the tock years are never worse than the tick. Does anyone really think that Apple won't sell 13M during its last quarter with the SE and 7 which are the third generation of the same design? The doom and gloom is overblown. 218M for 2016 without its last quarter vs 2015's 231M, and this spells doom for Apple because the 2016 iPhones lacks some new design? Okay.

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
If it was all about design, then why did the S7 edge outsell its predecessor when it practically looks the same? If it was all about design, why did iPhone 6 sell the most only for 2015/6s year to surpass 2014 in sales? If it was all about design, why is 2016 only 13M short from 2015's without its last quarter? Why did the SE sell well when it practically looks the same from the 5 series? Better CPU and faster RAM doesn't matter? Are you sure?

It isn't all about design when the tock years are never worse than the tick. Does anyone really think that Apple won't sell 13M during its last quarter with the SE and 7 which are the third generation of the same design? The doom and gloom is overblown. 218M for 2016 without its last quarter vs 2015's 231M, and this spells doom for Apple because the 2016 iPhones lacks some new design? Okay.
That 218 million number includes the last quarter (as an estimate of course).
Also, the only reason 6s (barely) sold better than 6 were the expanding markets of India and China. Most people have no idea of iPhome's CPU/GPU quality or amount of RAM. They do, however, notice a new design easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.