Has it been announced if iOS 5 will be free?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hismikeness, Jul 15, 2011.

1. hismikeness macrumors regular

Or will it be a paid upgrade. I don't remember them saying in the keynote and can't find anything on it.

Thanks

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I'm fairly certain that iOS 5 was stated to be free, and even if it wasn't explicitly stated all iOS updates have been free for iPhone users since iPhone OS 2, and for iPod touch devices for the past update or two, so there isn't any reason why that should change.

4. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

i thought i remember hearing in an old keynote that every new OS update from that point on would be free.

5. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

The only customers who may have to pay to upgrade are iPad 1 owners. I believe I remember hearing (or seeing?) in the terms that the iPad would receive one major iOS update for free (iOS 4.2.1). I don't think it specifically states that the second major update would be paid only, but it's a possibility.

6. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I don't think ios upgrades will be paid ever again. They are just going to eventually cut off the old hardware anyway. Also the whole support structure (genious, SHSH, phone replacements) becomes easier as they don't support old ios versions for the people that don't want to pay. They likely actually save money on the back end. Everyone wins.

7. LoganT macrumors 68020

I think the fact they don't charge anything for iOS updates is a sign that OS X isn't going anywhere.

8. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5259f Safari/6533.18.5)

I was under the impression that all updates were free as long as your hardware was upgradable?

9. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

When I got my ipod touch 1st generation many full moons ago, I had to pay around £14 for one of the firmware updates.

Long live free updates !