Has it been discussed...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ddoolin, Jul 14, 2010.

1. ddoolin macrumors regular

ddoolin

...that Apple rushed the iPhone out knowing of the defect because the Gizmodo deal?

Just curious. It did seem really soon.

:confused:

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Soon? Everyone had been cryin' about how long it was taking...

3. ddoolin thread starter macrumors regular

ddoolin

Really? That's kinda normal for people around here. I wasn't really expecting wind of it for another month or so.

Well, just throwing it out there. :)

4. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

That thought has crossed my mind. They really were put into a bad position, if they held anything from the gizmodo found phone back most people would have been very underwhelmed after seeing what they could have had. I think it's somewhat possible that it could have been a more advanced model not quite ready and since it was revealed they had to go with it.

5. ddoolin thread starter macrumors regular

ddoolin

Thanks for compounding on my thoughts. That actually wouldn't surprise me at all if that's how it went down.

:p

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Bull...by that time the form factor was set, the dies were made, and it was pretty myth a go. However, Apple's strict secrecy made field testing impossible without a camouflaging case...a case that would have obscured the dreaded antennae bridging issue. The phone was always on track for a June release.

7. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

Maybe that's what the press conference is all about. They're going to blame Gizmodo on creating a need for them to rush the phone. Then announce a recall, and a lawsuite against Gizmodo to cover the cost. :D Gizmodo was invited after all.

8. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

Rushed? They release a new phone every year. The phone would've still had the same release with all the current new features.

9. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

discussed? lol why do you think they invented the "bumper"? that's more than likely what happened - they realized that they had a mess on their hands, and tried to cover things up by selling cases. you know how the saying goes - you can sugar coat a piece of crap, but it will still be a piece of crap.

10. ddoolin thread starter macrumors regular

ddoolin

Not that it wouldn't be released at all or with more features...but maybe they would've taken the time to fix the problem that I think they knew existed.

Anyway. It was just a thought. Somewhat farfetched as it was.

11. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

It's entirely possible, actually fairly likely that they had more than one type of prototype phone. I'm sure the phone was tested without the case, just probably not in public. They probably didn't see the reception problem because they weren't looking for it. I would have never noticed it if it weren't for all the attention.

12. rangtang macrumors member

When does this "iPhone 4" come out?! In for three!!!

13. ddoolin thread starter macrumors regular

ddoolin

You should probably re-read the original post. :D

14. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Why would Apple feel any pressure to release the phone due to some leaked images? Any chef will tell you, just because you can smell the food, it doesn't mean dinner is ready. But as mentioned, the phone was announced and released right on track with their previous phone's schedules. If they thought they needed more time, they would have taken it. I say they didn't discover the antenna issue until after the keynote.

15. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

The expectations were set when Gizmodo revealed the prototype. If they had say decided the front facing camera needed to wait for the next generation phone, many consumers now fully aware of what they were working on would have decided to wait until the next iPhone cycle. They just simply couldn't release something less than what had already been seen.

16. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Absolutely true, but that doesn't mean they couldn't have waited 2 more months and released the same phone with a modified antenna. No one even knew the metal band was an antenna until the keynote.

17. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

I think the antenna issue is 90% psychological. Because people knew the band was the antenna the though crossed peoples minds that there might be an effect when touching it. As has been stated before the effect was seen on previous phones and many of the reviewers didn't catch this as well. It makes sense logically that touching the antenna could affect reception so everyone tries it sees an effect and assumes their phone is defective or unusable. I wonder if anyone would have even figured this out if Apple had never revealed the band was the antenna.