Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Because my iMac running Snow Leopard was in the shop for repairs, I had to use iTunes on my MBP running Yosemite.

Man is it a piece of confusing software. Menus hidden under ellipsis, and trying to navigate to find Podcasts was an exercise in frustration. Simple basic stuff like clicking on 'GET' to download a podcast should give me some kind of feedback that something is happening. A progress bar maybe?

I'm wondering if the UX has improved in Sierra. But somehow I feel it's just as bloated. Just give me back a simple sidebar and quick access to different sections.

DanielDD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2013
Portugal
Apple did slightly tweak the UI a couple of version ago. Go to iTunes > Check for Updates. If you have version 12.5.5, it means you have the latest version.

There are a couple of tips you can use to make iTunes more usable.
Show de Sidebar, and go to iTunes preferences and use disable anything you might see cluttering the UI under Restrictions.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i don't get the itunes hate; for me, it's a great app. my music and videos are well-organized, accessible; syncing with my iphone (over wifi) works, keeps my libraries in sync. the gui is fine. what exactly is wrong with it? (really, am asking)...

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
iTunes sux bug time. Messed up library every other day. Double songs in an album, songs missing. Oh my gawd.

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
i'm not having any of those issues, nor is anyone else i know. so you might want to reinstall itunes, or the OS... or get some help. the app doesn't suck if everyone isn't having those problems...
Dude, I made a fresh install a couple months ago when I bought a new MacBook. I deleted all the playlists and songs, I did every possible troubleshoot I could. My girlfriend has the same issues with her own account and all. Only because you and a handful of other people don't have any issues doesn't mean that it's the same for everybody else. So, to summarize it, your post isn't helpful at all.

It is fact for me that there are unexplainable failures. Full stop.

Reactions: Böhme417

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Dude, I made a fresh install a couple months ago when I bought a new MacBook. I deleted all the playlists and songs, I did every possible troubleshoot I could. My girlfriend has the same issues with her own account and all. Only because you and a handful of other people don't have any issues doesn't mean that it's the same for everybody else. So, to summarize it, your post isn't helpful at all.

It is fact for me that there are unexplainable failures. Full stop.

actually, in the real world, most people just use itunes. because you and a handful of other people have issues doesn't mean it's the same for everybody else.

Reactions: RadioGaGa1984

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
actually, in the real world, most people just use itunes. because you and a handful of other people have issues doesn't mean it's the same for everybody else.
And what exactly is YOUR problem? In the real world? :D

And, good sir, if I say that iTunes sucks for me, that it is a blown up mess, then that's that. It's my opinion. Get over it. The ignore button is a nice feature btw. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: navaira and PhiLLoW

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
And what exactly is YOUR problem? In the real world? :D

And, good sir, if I say that iTunes sucks for me, that it is a blown up mess, then that's that. It's my opinion. Get over it. The ignore button is a nice feature btw. :)

right, but you said 'itunes sux' like it was a fact for everyone, not 'for me' (which you're now saying). so i hear you; it sux for YOU. hope you get that sorted out.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
iTunes reached its peak at 10. something.
It's been downhill ever since,
If 12.5.5 is a slight improvement on 12.5.3, or whatever, I'm certain it's either an accident, or the work of a now fired employee.
I use 10.4.1 because it runs on all my Macs (OS 10.5.11-10.12.3) , but 10.7 is also acceptable. 12.5... is suitable only for communicating with newer Apple portable hardware. Beyond that, it's ugly and actually makes your music harder to listen to. I suppose the streaming set might like it, but paying $10-20 a month for music I already own is not a model I'm interested in dealing with.

Reactions: GIZBUG and navaira

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
these posts are hysterical. just because some people don't like the new itunes/os/whatever does not mean that everyone agrees. we all have out preferences. there is no way that apple (or any developer) is going to make every single person happy. so apple moves forward, whether we like it or not. and we adapt, or... go on forums like this, and whine and moan. zzzzzzz....

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
these posts are hysterical. just because some people don't like the new itunes/os/whatever does not mean that everyone agrees. we all have out preferences. there is no way that apple (or any developer) is going to make every single person happy. so apple moves forward, whether we like it or not. and we adapt, or... go on forums like this, and whine and moan. zzzzzzz....

Pretty sure I see many more posts from seasoned users about how much of a bloated mess iTunes has become than from users praising it...

And, I can't say I disagree. While it's not fair to make such a generalization, there does seem to be a need for a cleanup.

Reactions: Partron22

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Pretty sure I see many more posts from seasoned users about how much of a bloated mess iTunes has become than from users praising it...

And, I can't say I disagree. While it's not fair to make such a generalization, there does seem to be a need for a cleanup.

important to bear in mind that forum posters are a very small minority of itunes users; most people don't post on forums (they have.. what do you call it? real lives).

i'm not saying itunes couldn't be better, but i have no problems using it, and enjoy it (no more or less than, say, spotify on my mac). it feels organized, looks good.. and plays music (and syncs my iphone).

Reactions: Jayderek

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Still a single window App with 512X512 Max album art.
Asks me if I want to sign up for cloud or sharing or some BS every start up.
All those Hearts everywhere. I don't care what the dude who put his voice through auto-tune had for breakfast. Nor do I want the latest hot wax out of MoTown.
I like having gapless albums.
Single click purchase is a Plague, not a feature.
Having a Genius that invariably gets around to Shania Twain or Huckleberry Finn will cause me to turn that 'stuff' off.
Why would I share my music with anyone? That is why you buy more computers, drives amps and speakers with 14" woofers.
Go ahead and listen to your 128kbps downloads on your 3" speakers, vast majority. Give the ephemeral dance hits you like plenty of hearts, and share on Twitter. I prefer something better.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
personally, i enjoy my 320kbps mp3s (or 256 aacs), and an occasional wav file, on my usb-powered eve audio monitors. no sharing, no hearts, genius off. in fact, i get my music from my cds, or amazon mostly. apple store is off.

how big does album art need to be? i listen to music, and i don't stare at an album cover while doing so...

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
I personally don't like the ui design of iTunes 12 I like10 and 11 better I like it in tv shows to have a tab to chose the season instead of scrolling forever in 12

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016
i don't get the itunes hate; for me, it's a great app. my music and videos are well-organized, accessible; syncing with my iphone (over wifi) works, keeps my libraries in sync. the gui is fine. what exactly is wrong with it? (really, am asking)...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.