Has iWork caught up to Office Mac yet?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by renee_yuh, Dec 10, 2015.

?

Is iWork as good as/better than Office Mac?

1. Yes.

25.0%
  2. No.

75.0%
  1. renee_yuh Suspended

2. Mikael H macrumors 6502

It's not as full of features as MS Office. It is definitely a lot faster than MS Office. In most cases, snappiness is more important to me than what advanced or semi-advanced features are. In a few cases, I explicitly need features that iWork lacks to do my job. But since iWork has been free to new Mac owners for a while, I guess this really is a pointless discussion: Most people will probably be just fine with the functionality offered by iWork. Those who need MS Office will have to pay for it anyway - both economically and through the more bloated experience.

3. cincygolfgrrl macrumors 6502

cincygolfgrrl

Pages is a functional word processor if that's your task. I've never used Keynote, but I've heard it is every bit as good as Powerpoint.

Regrettably, Numbers is not even close to Excel. For example, Excel handles the .csv files I work with every day in the blink of an eye, perfectly every time. Numbers dumps all the data in a comma-separated-value table into a single cell, which defeats the whole point of a spreadsheet.

Numbers is nothing compared to Excel. That's too bad.

4. MagicHAM macrumors regular

MagicHAM

I use Pages and Numbers at home for basic creative writing and the odd occasional flyers i need to advertise some sales. Numbers is great for that basic spreadsheet for budgeting and time management at home. I never saw the need to purchase Office for home use so I cancelled the subscription. But i have a work subscription on my macbook that obviously need for Work for more large complex documents/spreadsheeting.

I would have to agree with what you said cincy. Number is too based for professional use, especially if your working with large amounts of data and CSV files. It's a huge mess. Until that catches up - i wouldn't use it in my professional daily life.

5. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

It's getting there. If MS would release a working OneDrive for Business for Mac I think I could live with iWorks.

6. sw6lee macrumors regular

It's never going to be useful for engineers or engineering students, math, science students, etc until Pages or any other third party office suites support equations from MS office. If you open up documents that includes equations that was made from MS office, you won't be able to view them at all on third party office suites.

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

MS Office apps are slow behemoths. Unless you REALLY need a specific feature of any of the apps, I dont see a reason to pick it over iWork.

8. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Words cannot express how much I love iWork. It needs more improvement, particularly on iOS, but it's amazing overall.

9. notrack macrumors 6502

It depends on what you need it for. I find Numbers incredibly efficient to use, especially for larger and more complex documents (mostly business/finance).