Has my battery gone out or is it my charger?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ZeroMaverick, Mar 3, 2012.

  1. ZeroMaverick macrumors newbie

    Mar 3, 2012

    Okay so a couple of weeks ago my MacBook Pro stopped charging. I tried turning it off and letting the battery die and then tried to charge it, but nothing happened. From what I could understand, the MacBook pro is able to run with just te charger in and no battery. Is this true? I have a somewhat old MacBook pro it isn't the unibody and the battery is removable. If it is suppposed to run without only the charger and no battery then it must be my charger that has given out.
    I made an appointment with an apple store to take a look at it. Do try charge to look at it?
    I was using an 85 watt charger for a 60 watt battery, could this have messed something up?
    Do you think it's my battery or my charger?

    When I touch the led button on the battery shows a single blinking led
    The led on my charger isn't really working, it glows a faint green barely noticeable.
    Any help would be appreciated

    Edit* I THINK it is an 08, but the keyboard isn't black if that helps. Sorry I'm not sure of the exact model...
  2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

    Oct 9, 2008
    The faint green light suggests the adapter isn't properly connected. Examine the port to make sure you don't have any debris and if you see something, take a brush and run it along the pins. Also inspect the pins on the adapter and make sure you can see all 5. There should be a single small pin with two larger ones to either side. If any are pushed in, or recessed, try releasing the stuck one. If you do not see a stuck pin or are unable to unstick it, it is time to seek a replacement adapter. If you have it replaced through a service provider, make sure you test it with your computer before you leave.
  3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere


    May 16, 2008
    Try resetting the SMC. Also, see the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the following link.
    It isn't recommended, as it will decrease performance.
    No, it can't.

    This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

Share This Page