Has my cable modem kicked the bucket?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NoMoreWhispers, Jun 15, 2010.

1. NoMoreWhispers macrumors newbie

Hey guys ;)

I own a mac mini and connect to the internet using a RoadRunner cable modem. (heres a pic of the modem I use)

The other day the PC Link light and Internet light began flashing, and the Cable Activity light and Cable Link light are completely off. I've tried unplugging and reconnecting and even called Time Warner for troubleshooting.

I have a tech coming over next week, but what I wanna know is:

Does it sound like the problem is that the modem kicked the bucket or is it another problem? I'm deciding if I should go to Time Warner this weekend and purchase a new cable modem. Or should I wait for the tech guy to come next week and not risk messing anything up even more? Had Time Warner for 6 months now so far it's been mostly good.

Thanks in advance, and SORRY if I placed this thread in the wrong place!!!

ps: I think as I ran out my apartment to catch the train this morning, I noticed mostly all the lights were out except the Internet light. :D

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

i have the same (or similar) modem. make sure you didn't accidentally hit the button (internet on/off) on the front, it caused me a lot of grief.

go to http://192.168.100.1
    it's the diagnostic page for your modem.

also, has it been rainy in your area recently, sometimes things outside your house get wet, and stop working.

3. NoMoreWhispers thread starter macrumors newbie

My modem doesn't have an on/off button! When I wanna turn it off I have to unplug it from the electrical outlet! It's lame lol
    Came home from work and my internet is working...all lights are on...but the Cable Activity and PC Link are rapidly flashing non stop. I'm guessing I still may need to get a new modem since it's never been like this before....and Time Warner cable modems are known to be bad.

And thank you for giving me the diagnostic page! You are sweet!

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

the modem in the link you posted has an on/off button, not for the unit itself, just the internet connection.

also,you'll notice in that picture the Cable Activity and PC Link are both flashing, that just means there's activity on that port. it's normal.

5. NoMoreWhispers thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah sorry I should have pointed out that the only difference between the picture and mine is the fact that mine doesn't have any on/off button :eek:

Yeah, the flashing I've had in the past and don't mind, but I'm still worried about my cable modem just not working alltogether like it did monday. I may still get my modem replaced.

Thank you kindly :D

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

Have you tried a RESET on the unit (small button, perhaps accessible through a small hole; paper clip usually will do the trick)?

7. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

More likely than not, there was an outage from Time Warner as it is not that likely for your modem to suddenly die. It can take a while for knowledge of the outage to reach Tech Support, so when you call them they can only schedule a technician to visit in the future.

If you have another Docsis cable modem, you can sort of use it to test the cable connection by seeing if its cable light blinks and/or stays on. It won't necessarily work without a call to Customer Service as the cable company has to authorize each cable modem. This would be something to compare with your current modem to see if there really is a modem problem or if it is a cable line issue.

8. NoMoreWhispers thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for everyones response and advice! Had a tech guy drop by and he found out people were using my internet and I just had a really bad signal (no one was stealing my internet, but people were using the same line).
    The tech guy gave me a nice connection and now my internet is working again :D

Now if I could only make my internet faster lol