Has my computer been hacked into?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gwardys, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Gwardys macrumors member

I have a serious question and don't really know where to turn right now. I'd just like to preface this by saying that I know a fair bit about computers, I'm not clueless.

I started up my computer and went to go open the terminal window so I could start Hamachi. Upon first glance though something was wrong. The login name of the terminal window says someone else's name (I wont divulge for privacy). I googled this and found this person on Facebook. They go to my university.

It says NOTMY-NAME and then shows my normal directory. (obviously with said name).

Does this mean that the person has root access to my computer? Should I reformat disallow them access? Should I be worried about key loggers?

The only shared folder I am running is to my public folder. It has typical permissions set up of read only except for me. There are no services except for Hamachi running openly. I have a password on my computer set upon any time it goes to sleep. I have a password attached to my account.

Interestingly enough under the shared folders preference pane I can see this:

[​IMG]

I again removed the persons name. That is a domain of my university, however when I try to connect to that share I get it is unavailable.

Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction? I'm really freaked out right now.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Try this: turn off all network connections, make sure the computer's name is correct in the Sharing pref pane, restart the Mac, check the name again. If the name is back to normal then I'd say its the uni's faulty. My Mac is always showing some different name at my uni. If it is still the incorrect name, change your account password. I don't think there is any reason to reinstall Mac on your computer.

3. Gwardys thread starter macrumors member

Interesting. That seemed to resolve the issue. I panicked for a moment because even though I rebooted a few times the same name came up.

Just out of curiosity, why does this happen? Is this a problem with the universities network or a bug in the way os x starts up?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The way it happens at my uni is that they, they uni, assigns my Mac a NetBIOS based name that changes the Mac's own name. Until the Mac is restarted and its proper name is restored.