Has my mac been hacked?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Radeon123, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Radeon123 macrumors newbie

Radeon123

Hey there,

Today I was recording my school production with screenflow on my mac, and I finished recording and I went into finder to check the file size but i cant find it anywhere and my hd space has shot down from 45gb to 47mb??? i closed screenflow without saving it and cant find the movie file anywhere! also, i then noticed another pc or something was trying to connect in finder underneath the shared sidebar? it was titled random numbers and letters? please help!!!!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Download GrandPerspective to see where your hard drive space went.

My guess is that you just have a lot of large movie files.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Doubtful. You may have some sharing options on though that someone may have been attempting to access naturally (w/o doing any illicit activity). The hard drive space disappearing could be from a runaway process or something. Use a program like Grand Perspective to help find large files that could be responsible. The videos likely disappeared do to the fact that hard drive space was lacking.

4. Radeon123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Radeon123

Thanks for the quick replies! I have dropbox installed, could that be the culprit?

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Doubtful. Why don't you report back when you've tried GrandPerspective? Look at what the large blocks are- they should give you a clue as to what's causing the problem.

6. Radeon123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Radeon123

Thanks, I will try that in the morning as I have now closed my computer, I'll post the results!

7. Radeon123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Radeon123

Thanks for your help, but as it turned out all I had to was restart my computer!