Has my Mac been hacked?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by lukester, May 2, 2012.

1. lukester macrumors 6502

This is the second time I heard the ding and swoosh sound of mail going out.
    I opened up my laptop and I started hearing mail going out.. I would say I heard about 10 dings and swooshes..

I do not have any mail in my outbox that would be pending to go out.
    I checked my sent box and nothing..

What could it be??? this has got me worried that my Mac may have a trojan in it.
    What should I do?

----------

How or where could I find out if mail was sent out and to where?

2. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

I was told on the apple support forum that my email password was hacked and to change the password..

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Who told you that?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Apple Mail seems like a good start, doesn't it?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your Mac has not been hacked and the issue you describe doesn't fit the profile of any Mac OS X trojan in the wild. Even if your email account was compromised (which happens to many people), that has nothing to do with your computer and would not account for the sounds you're hearing.

Do you have another user account on your computer? If so, is it currently logged in? It is also possible that you have another app that triggers the same sounds. Try shutting down the Mail app for a while and see if the sounds continue. Also, Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then look to see what other app or process might be the culprit.

6. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I don't know if this is the case with you, but I have a really goofy thing going on between my google stuff and my icloud stuff. I maintain a google calendar that I use for a non profit group. I have iCal subscribed to that google calendar. For some reason, since I also signed up for iCloud, iCal has decided that when a calendar event has an alert, it needs to send an email back to my google account via the iCloud account to let it know it has an event.

I haven't taken the time to troubleshoot this as it's not that big of a deal to me. Just thought I would mention it since the way I noticed this happening was the swooshing sounds from mail.

7. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

I have parallels running on it too so could something come in thru the back door of windows since there are shared things going on there between the mac and windows?

I do have a guest account but is is not enabled.
    I changed all my passwords and so far I have not heard it. It happened once when I was shutting down and the other time when I lifted the screen, opened the lap top from sleep.

----------

I just looked at the activity monitor and did not see anything unusual I think..

8. IzzyJG99 macrumors 6502

Strangely this evening I went to check Mail.app for new mail for two gmail accounts. It asked me for passwords on both. Which were stored in the keychain. Passwords at first were denied by Google and then finally allowed. Weirdest thing ever. Contacted Apple. They said to reformat and re-install.

....Something is afoot.

9. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

Reformat your drive and all its programs, etc???
    that would be a nightmare for me..