Has my mac got a bug on it?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kurrosh, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Kurrosh macrumors member

Hey,

I've recently had my WoW account hacked 3 times (i changed my password after each attempt of course) and yet nothing worked. I also remember a few months ago – roughly 5-6 – someone purchased 50eu of games using my PayPal account (I phoned PayPal and stopped the transaction when I found out.)
    My password was relatively strong for either, but my e-mail password wasn't and each time they did it they reset my password, meaning they may have likely used the option such as 'forgot password'.

My guess is either someone/a few people have found out password to my e-mail or I may have a trojan, which is significantly more worrying, so i'm asking is there any way to find out if I do?
    After browsing around all I can find is to check Activity Monitor every now and again to make sure nothing is happening I wouldn't want, but I honestly don't understand it. I haven't been on any unsafe sites which I can think of.

2. Morley7 macrumors member

If I were you I would change all of my passwords as soon as possible. Use different passwords for everything and use randomly generated passwords with letters numbers and special characters. I have always done this and never once had a problem with an account being tampered with. If anything else happens again then I would look into it more. Otherwise I wouldn't be too worried.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If "I haven't been on any unsafe sites which I can think of." is true then you don't have a trojan. (and if you didn't install anything you didn't buy).

So it's likely that you use
    - weak password
    - same password for all accounts, and the password is acquired somehow

4. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

More likely the latter - I suspect someone knows the key facts you have stored that are used with forgotten password retrieval - things like your mothers maiden name, date of birth, first pets name, whatever, You need to chnage all that stuff.
    Thats how that student "hacked" into Sarah Palins account, all her info was publicly available.
    Make some stuff up - mothers maiden name YRONFEYB, date of birth = not yours, etc.