Has my Powermac Dual G5 1.8 died?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Mac Hammer Fan, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Mac Hammer Fan macrumors 6502

Mac Hammer Fan

I have a Dual G5 1,8 Ghz. One processor was defective. The Mac refused to sleep but worked. Yesterday, after a strange sound, the Mac hanged. Now it refuses to boot: no chime. The light above the start-button doesn't burn, unless I push on the button. Keyboard and mouse don't work, so I can't reset PRAM or boot in open firmware or in firewire-mode. After a couple of minutes, the fans start to run faster and faster untill they reach full speed.
    Resetting the logic-board didn't help.

Is it the logic board, or the processor? I doubt that it is the videocard or the power supply.
    Thanks for any help or advice.
    Kind regards
    MHF

2. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Wat is defectiv bout the one cpu?

3. MisterKeeks, Mar 10, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013

MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

I'm assuming it doesn't work.

4. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Then I'd take the dead cpu out.

5. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

If and ONLY IF

You can boot up the machine, I would allow Apple Service Diagnostic and or Hardware Test to tell you further that the CPU is bad. In fact, even if the machine won't turn on, but you can hear the PSU and if you hear 5 beeps, then the processor is not usable and or broken.

Whether its worth it to replace the processor itself is in entirely up to you. I would just get a dual core G5 which would be a lot faster and less problematic. To my knowledge the Dual core G5's fixed many problems of previous G5 series.

6. Mac Hammer Fan thread starter macrumors 6502

Mac Hammer Fan

I can't boot this Mac any more. No chime, and after a couple of minutes, the fans accelerate until they reach full speed. It's not possible to run a hardware test...
    The light above the start-button is only on when I push the start-button, otherwise it's out.
    A logic board reset didn't help.
    R.I.P?

7. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Logic board or the second CPU. G5's are unreliable machines and because Apple uses non-standard parts, it is not that easy to get replacement. If it is the logic board, it is usually bad solder contact with the chipset and that can many times be resoldered back and the machine will work again. In some cases it might be that the chipset itself is bad. Of course if you don't have equipment etc. you have rely on someone else doing it and it might cost too much to make sense. If it is bad CPU then the only you can do is to buy replacement.

8. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

How do you know that one CPU was defective? How long have you known that?

9. Mac Hammer Fan thread starter macrumors 6502

Mac Hammer Fan

In the info "About this Mac" , suddenly after a crash 3 years ago, it was displayed "1 processor" instead of 2. That's why I bought a new Mac for horsepower, a Mac Pro 4,1.
    (And the Mac still worked, but when i chose "sleep" it hanged.)

10. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Remove dead CPUs from computers! A dead cpu just laying in a socket can cost many, many, issues. Remove and reboot.

11. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

Here is an idea

Goto applecomponents.com and see if they have a replacement CPU.. It might not be so expensive anymore like in the past, or you could do a search on ebay for it.

Even I picked up a Quad G5 LCS with known working cpus for under 100.00 bucks on ebay.