Has new MBP SATA III?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smoldik, Feb 24, 2011.

1. smoldik macrumors newbie

2. hoxley macrumors regular

I too have wondered this.

considering the SB chipset problems, i would imagine (at least the initial ones) are on the sataIII ports for both the optical and hdd - which would be great news for future upgrades & optibay.

i find it interesting they dont mention it on the specs although the HDD inside the machine is prob sata II (which would be a reason they dont mention it)

can you tell from system profile what ports are connected to the chip ?

3. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I just ordered my 15" but am wondering the same thing. I guess I'll report bak when I find out

4. smoldik, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011

smoldik thread starter macrumors newbie

dunno but i care about this because of upgrade to Vertex 3 SSD in future, which would be awesome if it is possible. I am new to the mac, this will be my first.

but Cougar Point supports two SATA III ports, but who knows what apple used.

5. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    this is what i have been throwing a wobbly about

so i asked apple on 'live chat' and they initially said yes.. but after 30 min wait as they where making sure.. and the repetitive "thanks for you patience", and "just a moment, please" - they asked me why

so i said as i wanted to know in terms of future upgradeability to the OWC sata 3 with 6gb/s

i referenced this
    http://www.tuaw.com/2011/02/08/intel-may-ship-dual-core-sandy-bridge-cpus-on-feb-20/

she then 'hung-up' and the chat ended

charming

that since certain early version of SB chips will have faulty sata 3, and only sata 2 ports will be working - whether they will use these chips with the faults and we risk upgrading at our own peril (back to pc days) or apple threw in their weight and demanded only full functioning well tested chipsets without the flaw

i will wait until more confirmation and info has been documented

my macbook pro with 3yrs applecare i purchased 6 wks ago can be resold at 90% value i paid.. from similar listing e-bay

<deep breath> excited re new macbook refresh

6. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    ps

? quadcore versions as used in 15" appears no affected

again not enough info and apple is keeping stum about this

mmm.. i'm a little apprhensive to jump in
    :apple:

7. smoldik thread starter macrumors newbie

i think only SATA 2 ports were affected. and i guess apple didnt use affected chips. so if HDD is connected to SATA III i am good

8. Brettla macrumors regular

9. smoldik thread starter macrumors newbie