Has Safari become incredibly sluggish for anyone else?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by samiwas, Mar 16, 2009.

1. samiwas macrumors 65816

Quite a while back, I switched from Firefox back to Safari, because Firefox was driving me crazy with it's intermittent freezes and whatnot. Safari was so much faster and allowed tabbing to menu form fields (which I think Firefox STILL does not do).

But lately, it seems like Safari just slogs through everything it tries to do. Google maps is painful. Loading up the CBS website earlier took over a minute, and not because of a slow connection. The spinning beachball now appears on every click it seems. This is was Safari 3, so I updated to Safari 4 beta, and it doesn't seem much better. It's odd because it didn't used to be like this...it just sort of started out of nowhere. One thing I do notice is that my hard drive is just churning away with activity at these times.

Any ideas what could cause such random slowdowns? Restarting does not help...it's just as slow afterwards. Ugh, hopefully I can figure this out, but I think I need to switch back to Firefox in the time being. Ugh.

MacBook Pro 17" 2.0 Ghz, 2GB Ram, 160GB HD

2. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

I noticed that I've been getting the beachball a little more often with Safari 4 than Safari 3... Probably because it's still in beta. Other than that it still fast as hell and working great!

3. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Same here, spinning ball often and I hope it's resolved soon.

4. gungadin macrumors newbie

spinning beach ball (from Hell)

and "cannot connect to server" - Yahoo mostly...