Has safari got a lot slower!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by abz1981, Feb 9, 2012.

1. abz1981, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012

abz1981 macrumors 65816

Hi

I have a 2011 MBA. Is it me though, or has safari 5.1.3 gone a lot slower, these days on lion os x.

I have a feeling it, has, i tend to get the beach ball a lot more than often. Thinking of switching browers, chrome does not seem so bad. What do other people think?

p.s before anyone asks, its not my internet connection. I am currently getting 5.6mb download speeds.
    also pages refreshing seems slow too.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm using the same version with Lion on my iMac and I don't notice any speed difference from before. You might try doing a reset of Safari by going to the Safari menu and "Reset Safari..." then check all the boxes and click reset.

3. greasemuntney macrumors newbie

greasemuntney

Yes it has got a LOT slower. Just got phone with Apple about another issue due to trying to fix Safari and they said YES they are having tons of calls and emails about it. They told me they are working on it and hope to have a fix soon.

4. Nioxic macrumors regular

I dont actually know.

i got my MBA in august, and i installed Chrome asap.

I just prefer the extensions and the google search adress bar :)

But safari (and the whole wifi) system was screwed up in the fall for me at least, was fixed in the recent update

could be that that update also screwed over the speed? ;(

5. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I just picked up an MBA yesterday and I haven't had any safari issues at all across any of my Macs. I second that you try and reset it and clear your cache may help you out a bit.

6. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

hey all
    i did a safari re-set etc, but still the same. Anyways I have decided to start using chrome now. I dont want flash installed on my MBA, and chrome has it inbuilt, plus it seems much faster than safari. I always been a safari person, but now I think its time to switch to Chrome. I am glad, Chrome has the swipe lion features though :)

7. jamojamo macrumors 6502

Let us know how you like Chrome after using it a few days. I've been wondering what newly switched users think pros/cons.

Thanks

8. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

9. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

got this from:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2152455?start=0&tstart=0

Adding DNS codes to your Network Settings, should gives good results in terms of speed-up:

Open System Preferences/Network. Double click on your connection type, or select it in the drop-down menu. Click on TCP/IP and in the box marked 'DNS Servers' enter the following two numbers:

(An explanation of why that is both safe and a good idea can be read here: http://www.labnol.org/internet/tools/opendsn-what-is-opendns-why-required-2/2587 /

Open DNS also provides an anti-phishing feature: http://www.opendns.com/solutions/homenetwork/anti-phishing/ )

Wikipedia also has an interesting article about Open DNS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDNS

Whilst in System Preferences/Network you should also turn off 'IPv6' in your preference pane, as otherwise you may not get the full speed benefit (the DNS resolver will default to making SRV queries). If you want to know what IPv6 is:

This is Apple's guidance on iPv6:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8708.html

Click on Apply Now and close the window.

Restart Safari, and repair permissions.

If that didn't do it, then try this as well:

Empty Safari's cache (from the Safari menu), then close Safari.

Go to Home/Library/Safari and delete the following files:

form values
    download.plist

Then go to Home/Library/Preferences and delete

com.apple.Safari.plist

Repair permissions (in Disk Utility).

Start up Safari again, and things should have improved.

10. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hey

I decided to go back to Safari. Chrome was good, it was fast too. However my safari seems to gone back to fast how it was. I don't know if this was due to Lion OS being reinstalled on my MBA again though, that was done due to some other issue.

I have however decided not to install flash on my MBA. For websites that do need flash, I have got chrome to use for that. However main browser will be Safari.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have been doing the same thing and find fewer and fewer sites use Flash. By not having Flash installed many sites will recognize that fact and serve up a much faster HTML5 version of the site.

When I do need Chrome I use Alfred to launch the Applescript below and it will open Chrome to whatever page you were on in Safari.

Code:
    tell application "Safari" to set currentURL to URL of current tab of window 1
    tell application "Google Chrome"
    	activate
    	if not (exists window 1) then make new window
    	tell window 1
    		if URL of active tab is "chrome://newtab/" then
    			set URL of active tab to currentURL
    		else
    			make new tab with properties {URL:currentURL}
    		end if
    	end tell
    end tell

12. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi weaselboy
    That's interesting. So what you are saying is if I wanted to use a site with chrome I can do that thorough safari using the below script and that Alfred program?

Now being a n00b at programming and scripting etc. how would I implement that set up into safari using my MBA running lion os x. Also is it easy to undo this implantation if I decided want to go back to the normal way of doing things

A step by step guide of some sort would be appreciated if you can.

13. jstntch macrumors newbie

I had recently installed Flash for Safari. Safari started to slow down after that. I just uninstalled flash and it seems to be faster.

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You bet. Sorry I was not more clear.

This does not change Safari at all, what the script does is open Chrome to the URL that is shown in the front Safari tab. So if you are using Safari and come to a page that requires Flash, you just run the script and it opens that same page in Chrome. It saves you having to cut and paste the link into Chrome once you open it.

Two ways to go here. If you don't want to mess with Alfred (which is just a launcher), you can open the Applescript Editor (from Applications/Utilities) and paste in the script I posted (screenshot below). Then click the compile button and save the script wherever you want it. Then when you are on a web page in Safari that you want to open in Chrome, just run the Applescript. You can save the Applescript as an app and put it in your Dock if you want.

The second, and preferred way IMO, is to use Alfred. You can paste the script directly into Alfred as shown in my second screen cap and run it directly from Alfred with either a shortcut key or by beginning to type the script name and hitting return.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. JMies419 macrumors 6502

I have not noticed anything different lately.

16. Bach2011 macrumors member

I have the program run sluggish sometimes, especially with scrolling. I tried close the program/ reboot but didn't help. It could take for an hour or so. Then it's back to normal by itself. Strange, I think.

17. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks Weaselboy. I will try that and check it out.

18. NoIdeasOriginal macrumors member

Reseting Safari should help. I've actually been using the nightly versions of Webkit for months now. The performance is outstanding.

19. jamojamo macrumors 6502

Thanks for following up!

20. thomanjones macrumors regular

Thanks! Awesome Script. For anyone looking to use this, here's how I set it up-

1. Open AppleScript Editor (find via Alfred or Spotlight)
    2. Copy and paste code block into AppleScript Editor
    3. Save as Application (I named it OiChrome, short for Open in Chrome)
    4. Now I can toggle Alfred (opt+space) or Spotlight (Command+space), type oic ENTER and my frontmost page in Safari pops open in Chrome

Awesome! Thanks again.

21. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Glad it worked out for you. :D

22. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

It worked for me as well. Thank you :D

23. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

I've had this issue. Reset safari doesn't work as it should and you will still get slowdowns and beach balls. This is the solution.

Export your bookmarks to keep them safe

Delete the folder safari in library

Delete the system safari plist files (search for system files)

Empty trash

Safari should now be completely reset and open with the welcome animation. This is the fresh way as resetting safari in the menu doesn't truly reset the browser.

PS
    Import bookmarks

24. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hey, i did it. I managed to work it out using your instructions to do it through Applescript Editor. Alred would require me to pay for that ability, think its called extensions. So this solution is good.

----------

thanks musio. I will keep this in mind for next time :)

25. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can do like user thomanjones did above and just save the Applescript as an app. Then you can launch it either from Spotlight or the free version of Alfred. Or you could just put the app in the dock and click on it. Glad this worked out for you.