Has screen quality improved in recent-week builds?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by viperGTS, Jan 7, 2016.

1. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Basically the title. For anyone who has purchased an iPhone recently and pays extra attention to their screens like I do, how are the screens? Do the backlights appear to be more even, as well as the tints?

I'm asking to decide whether or not I should buy a 6s. Any off-topic comments about how OCD you think this is (when it really isn't) are a waste of everyone's time and will be immediately reported. Thank you. :)

Side note, I'm not really interested in the 6s Plus, but feel free to mention if the pressure point mark and the wavy light effect at the top of the display of those devices has been fixed as well. It would suggest Apple has stepped up on QC. :D

2. DADDYDC650 macrumors 6502

DADDYDC650

Let me know when you find a perfect IPS panel.

This thread is full of OCD.

3. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

No phone will be 100%. We all should know better by now.

4. cableguy84 macrumors 6502a

cableguy84

I have a launch day 6s plus , the screen is perfect , best i've had on a iphone yet

Have owned at least 8 different iphones

5. imanidiot Suspended

To start a thread like this and peremptorily try to control potential responses is laughable.

6. BiteMe! macrumors newbie

BiteMe!

This is plenty OCD and I am extremely happy to waste your time.
    Now go ahead and report me!

7. 8692574 Suspended

Seems you are pretty decided to me! You are just looking to get the "perfect phone", and nobody can assure you will be getting a flawless iPhone.

8. jtwlbz macrumors 6502a

No still lottery. My gold + is very good so far but been thru 3 silver ones had pretty bad curtains on top and etc. i dont think this can be improved.

9. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

I've had my 6S Plus(VZW 64GB if that matters) for less than a month and it's probably the first iPhone screen I've been completely happy with. I haven't found any dead or stuck pixels and the backlight looks uniform.

10. Vicrooloo macrumors regular

Buy me a calibration tool and I'll be glad to report to you the results of my 6S screen. Moot point because YOUR phone may or may not be ******. But hey, at least your OCD will tell you right away if there is a problem and there likely will be a problem because of the OCD thing

Expecting a new thread in the future from you about something wrong with your phone and your reason for not taking it to an Apple store for review.

11. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

Screen quality is now the same as it was in October. And it will be the same if you ask this in July.

Get the picture...?

12. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

And will be the same if asked in September (but by then it would be better off buying the 7.)

13. garycoleman2, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016

garycoleman2 macrumors member

Everything I bought from desktop monitors, laptops, ipads, iphones, other smart phones never had a perfect panel. Issues were dead pixels, light leakage, or uneven brightness.

My iPad Air 2 that I bought 2 months ago has a slight book spine effect on the left edge of the screen.

To answer the OP's question. I bought two iPhone 6s Pluses 2 weeks ago. One has a slight book spine effect on the right edge of the screen. the other one has slightly light leakage also on the right edge.

I can honestly say the only device I ever bought with a truly perfect screen was my iPhone 5s.

14. Farsider, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016

Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

As discussed in the multiple threads that you and I have been a part of, its just a lottery. I'm on my 4th phone. Each phone was perfect out of the box but after 3-4 weeks of use, the screen characteristics would change. I would get strange dark horizontal lines across the screen or the screen would go really really blue. You'd see both issues just when scrolling text up & down the screen. Very noticeable by everyone I showed it to. Each time a genius confirmed it had developed a fault. The screen I have on the phone I have now is pretty good - no colour shift, no shadows, mostly even backlight. I'm happy. Hope it stays this way.

Things could be worse, you could have stuck a screen protector on the back of your phone and struggle to get it off. :p

15. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I bought a 128GB sim free 6S+ and a 128GB 6S in December. Both are as near perfect as I can tell. I'm sure if I went looking for a problem, I could probably find one like a lot of people do on this site. For me, if I can't noticed it in my every day use, it isn't a problem.

16. brianjsw01 macrumors member

Lottery is still in effect. Just had a new screen installed... Large shadow at top left.

17. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

Just had my 6s screen replaced due to specks top left. The replacement screen is the best I've had in an iPhone (6 onwards).

18. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

How in god's green earth do you expect anyone on here to have access to apple's manufacturing and quality data to be able to answer such a question?

All we have to go on is our own personal use data, which is meaningless on predicting what your purchase of iPhone may bring. Without knowing total output, pass and fail QC numbers no one can provide useful information.

Apple may well be tweeking the manufacturing process, and / or changing what is passed going through quality control but they like all other companies don't publicly announce that.

Buy your phone from Apple Store, open it there and have them set it up, look it over real careful and don't leave if you are not satisfied. That's probably best you can do. And if in 13 days you find some issue take it in to exchange or refund. At least you have those options.

19. that be me macrumors 6502

Just curious, did installing the new screen make your issue better or worse?

20. brianjsw01 macrumors member

Honestly, so far this one is horrible. No dust yet, but I wish I could have the old screen back. This one has uneven brightness. Top half is dimmer than bottom half, and there is a dark shadow at top left corner. My normal non-picky friend remarked how horrible the new screen is so I guess it's not just me. I'll go back and get it exchanged again when I feel up to it maybe in a week or so, just kind of frustrated right now.