Has someone tried Snow Leopard on the Air ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by leez, Jan 8, 2009.

1. leez macrumors regular

leez

So... did you ? The beta version flying around... any performance improvements ? Thanks for sharing :).

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Its going to have performance improvements simply because its 64bit. Its also got open cl and grand central, the whole idea is to make it more efficient.

3. rdubya5 macrumors newbie

Your title hurts me.

Has someone tried Snow Leopard on the Air? or
    Did someone try Snow Leopard on the Air?

:)

4. leez thread starter macrumors regular

leez

:)

5. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

I don't get it? The original sentence sounds just fine to me... in fact 'Did someone...' sounds wrong as it would imply I am thinking someone has indeed tried Snow Leopard on the Air and I want to know who it was?

6. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

I'm actually kind of curious too.
    If anyone has tried it, it'll be great to hear your experience! :D

7. Indydenny macrumors 6502

Indydenny

Regardless of the title, I am interested in the answer or even the expected answer. I have heard (on this board) that the MBA would not be useable with Snow Leopard. I can hardly believe that is true. Is there a definitive answer?
    Thanks

8. kloan macrumors regular

Leopard is already 64 bit.

9. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

Whoever said that to you was a doofus. If anything Snow Leopard will run BETTER on the MBA - Snow Leopard is an optimization release of Leopard - not many new features, mostly under the hood optimizations for Graphics Cards and multi-core CPUs. Plus they're rewriting Finder in Cocoa, etc...

Snow Leopard will most certainly be useable on a MBA (Rev A or B) and from what we know so far, it'll run faster/better or at least as well as Leopard does currently.

10. McGilli macrumors 6502

What is the latest build available?

is it : Snow Leopard 10A190

And also - are they like M$ beta releases - meaning that the beta will expire after a certain amount of days?

11. pstoehr macrumors member

Hi *,

maybe my english is not good enough to follow the discussion :D

Has someone already installed Snow Leopard on the MBA and is willing to give us some information about a speedup.

Thanks in advance
    Peter

12. LinMac macrumors 65816

13. n0de macrumors 6502

Don't forget the "dramatic" drop in executable sizes - at the least the additional free memory and lack of disk swapping should give a performance bump.

14. leez thread starter macrumors regular

leez

Well, I'm looking forward for this release, because I believe it will dramatically increase the performance. And for the MBA it's necessary. I might even try it soon... But the real question is, will it take advantage of the graphic card used in Air and will it at least reduce the core shutdown problem ? (1.6 Rev A)

PS. About the topic, english isn't my first language, so I might do some mistakes here and there... anyway still learning and the topic was corrected.

15. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Leopard is 32 bit, its just 64bit compatible.

16. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

The MBA would be able to run Snow Leopard, of course! I asked an Apple employee and he said most definitely Snow Leopard would run on the MBA.
    If Snow Leopard couldn't run on the MBA, then I would think $1800+ spent on such a wonderful laptop would go down the drain by having Leopard stuck on it forever.

17. kloan macrumors regular

Thanks for the link. I guess Apple's explanation of Leopard being 64 bit is somewhat misleading, huh.

18. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Well, of course Snow Leopard will! It'll run on any Intel machine. I think what people really want to know though, is whether or not it'll truly make a difference on a device like the MBA.

19. leez thread starter macrumors regular

leez

...and if someone tried the beta version on the Air :).

20. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Nobody is going to try the Beta on the Air and post anything. It is against the rules. Just on paper, it should be fast. If the Microsoft Office developers had to optimize Leopard then I would worry.

21. leez thread starter macrumors regular

leez

Didn't know that the beta testers can't say anything at all about the performance. That's a shame.... but, correct me if I'm wrong, some screens leaked a few weeks ago and as far as I can remember, it was described by the main Apple news websites/blogs...

22. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Nobody with Snow Leopard seed access is allowed to say anything that's not posted on Apple's public webpage about it.

23. AIRniloc macrumors regular

AIRniloc

it runs just fine on my mbair..

a little buggy (iSight stuff and so forth)...but noticeably quicker performance, even in finder..

i have the first build given out at WWDC last year..

24. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

It is not optimized for portables yet. From what I have seen/heard, 1 hour battery life is about par for the course. (Latest Build)

25. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You got it backwards. Leopard is 64 bit and compatible with 32 bit.