Has the 4.2 GM 2 solved the WiFi issue for you?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lozpop, Nov 12, 2010.

?

Has the 4.2 GM 2 solved the WiFi issue for you?

1. Yes

36 vote(s)
    72.0%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    18.0%
  3. Not definitely

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. lozpop macrumors 6502

It clearly seems that the WiFi issue is the big reason for the iOS 4.2 delay.
    The new GM has been released only for the iPad, and it seems that Apple solved the WiFi issue.

So, if you had the issue on your iPad, has the 4.2 GM 2 solved it?

For me, it seems that it has been solved.. But I want to be sure, before voting. So I'll wait and test it for some hours.

2. Macky Mac macrumors member

For the hour that I have been using the B version, all is working. It seems they might have fixed this issue. I will report back after more testing.

3. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

Downloading it now. I didn't have any Wifi problems whatsoever in various router configs. My only complaint was that battery life was poor compared to 3.2.2

Lets hope the GM2 fixes that.

4. garethjs macrumors 6502

I never had the wifi issue even with beta 1 and that's on 2 different wifi networks.

5. TNSF macrumors member

I did not have 4.2 GM installed. However for what its worth I installed 4.2GMb today and I don't have any wifi issues. Everything is working perfectly.

I did notice that AirPlay to my Apple TV 2 is audio only, but I think thats because a software update for Apple TV 2 is needed.

6. lozpop thread starter macrumors 6502

I would be curious to read the experience of the users who voted NO.
    Seems like a joke. Voting NO and not writing your experience and problems.

7. shandyman Suspended

we don't know there was a delay, only officially said november. all dates mentioned were rumoured, based on guesses and suppositions. thats all.

8. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

At least one person has started another thread of complaint. I figured that person was the no-voter.

How's yours, lozpop? Still holding up, all solved?

9. lozpop thread starter macrumors 6502

For now it's still working. It really seems solved.
    Anyway the GM 2 code is 8C134b, and it has been released only for the iPad. So maybe it's a last "speedy" final fix before the official launch.

10. samh macrumors 6502

There may not be an official word about a delay, but there is something implied in the unusual step of a b-revision to a GM release.

11. lozpop thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, effectively you're right, but the official version is usually a week away from the GM.
    The fact that this new GM 2 has been released only for the iPad and not for iPhone and iPod touch, really means that this is a small exclusive update for the WiFi issue, and this is why everyone is talking about a delay.

12. budman1961 macrumors regular

13. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

Could you add the option "I ain't never had no issues wif WiFi under the original 4.2 GM"? Because I haven't had any issues, but I am looking forward to installing the new GM to see if it resolves the animation issue I have with folders and switching between open apps.

14. shandyman Suspended

the whole point of GM is final testing and for devs to test their apps, so any problem will get fixed with an update.

for all we know they never intended to release for another couple of weeks, so just cos there's another GM build just for iPad does not mean that they delayed the release. they have had it before when a GM was 2 weeks before public release. just cos there's been no b revision before just means there wasn't any problems with the GM's before that warranted the revision. any implication of a delay is just in people's heads.

15. Camazza macrumors newbie

Ok, I'll be the first to actually comment on the fact that the "b" release has not fixed the WiFi problem for me. Basically, the first Golden Master had very poor WiFi performance AND disconnected after 5 minutes, the second Golden Master has very poor WiFi performance but does not disconnect. I still have to wait ages for a page to load, while 3.2.2 has no problem at all. The "B" release still has some tendency to hang but does not disconnect like the first GM.

16. lozpop thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, but I've specified that the poll is only for users that had the issue.
    I can't edit the poll now.

17. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

If I were Apple, and looking at these kinds of figures through official lines, I'd be going for a public release of this build.

Any ongoing issues would need a separate investigation, probably with a full userbase.

18. JulianL macrumors 65816

I agree. The WiFi issues that many of the people who still have issues with 4.2 GM2 are reporting pretty much describe my current 3.2.2 experience so on that basis it looks to me as if 4.2GM2 is at least no worse than 3.2.2 as far as WiFi is concerned.

I'm disappointed that, after 3 public releases of the iPad iOS (assuming that GM2 goes live and counts as the third release), the WiFi stack still needs work but ultimately Apple can't fix all this in the lab without wider field testing so I think it probably has got to a low enough failure rate to put it out as the live release and keep working on the remaining issues.

- Julian

19. morsecp macrumors regular

morsecp

Same here, no problems with either.

Bump

20. lozpop thread starter macrumors 6502

Again, sorry, but I've specified that the poll is only for users that had the issue with the first GM.
    I can't edit the poll now.

21. TangoDown macrumors regular

+1
    If you didn't have a problem, this poll is clearly not for you.
    Hardly rocket science is it - the guy is trying to see who, out of those who HAD a problem, have had it fixed with the update.
    Jeez. :rolleyes:

22. lozpop thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Anyway there are already users with the WiFi issue, but it's strange that no one of these has wrote his own experience....

23. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

need to have a poll option for "never had the issue to begin with"

24. skyw macrumors newbie

Working fine here

Have been testing GM2 in a variety of environments today... All good so far, but with GM1, the problem mysteriously didn't make itself known until the day after install... Thought it might have been down to app incompatibilities ... However, same apps now and no probs yet... I'll see how it is tomorrow.

25. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

It isn't rocket science either to have apoll that is representative of all options, and not just negative experiences which tend lead to polarised discussions. It would be just as useful to see how many have actually experienced no or positive change in their WiFi experience in order to gain an understanding of how representative this issue is, not just who has an issue.