Has the blue sport band been changed?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by supersalo, Sep 19, 2015.

1. supersalo macrumors 6502

supersalo

The one on the Apple Store looks like a slightly lighter shade of blue (it looks identical to the new, blue iPhone 6s/6s Plus silicone case.

The one on the Apple website has a different model number. The previous model number was MJ4R2ZM/A. The new one is MLDL2ZM/A.

Plus the blue band shows a delivery date of about a week (like the other new colors). The green and white bands (which are unchanged) have immediate availability.

However, when I chatted with Apple online, they claimed the blue was unchanged. I'm guessing they're misinformed and it has changed.

2. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

Yeah the color has been changed slightly. The hue looks ever so slightly more green.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

There's (light) blue and midnight blue. The midnight blue is a brand new color. The light blue one, simply called "blue" on the website, is unchanged.

4. supersalo thread starter macrumors 6502

supersalo

I'm not so sure about that. Why the new model number?

5. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Hmmm. Interesting. Has the part # changed for sure (not looking at the midnight blue part #)? While the color in the image looks different, so does the shade of blue on the watch's display, making me think the color correction is just different rather than an actual change in manufacturing. Otherwise the watch's display color wouldn't have changed. And if the screenshot is supposed to be watchOS 2, the activity rings would be color, so that's not it.

7. supersalo thread starter macrumors 6502

supersalo

Yes, see my original post.

8. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

So why the change in the screenshot? The color should match the color of the text on the display, but would not if the color of the band changed.

9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Watch OS 2 has new watch face colors, including a new "Light Blue" which is what is shown in the image.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/09/09/watchos-2-color-options/

10. Nell macrumors regular

For the original colours, I hadn't expected to like the blue band from the photos but liked it in real life. Wish I'd bought one now as I don't like the new version.

On the other hand, I'd expected to live the green band but don't like it in real life; I wish they'd zinged that one up instead. A change like the one they've made to the blue would have made the green exactly what I'd wanted it to be.

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

But aren't the activity rings color on watchOS 2? Unlike the screenshot.

Edit: ah, guess the colored rings is an option. Guess it all makes sense now.

12. Seamaster macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

13. supersalo thread starter macrumors 6502

supersalo

If you search for MJ4R2ZM/A, you can find some online. I'd sell you mine, but the cost with international shipping wouldn't be worth it.

14. PrincessKick macrumors newbie

PrincessKick

The original blue sports bands are still in the stores. I just bought one last Monday. The new blue band is lighter in color and my local store did not have any in yet.

15. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

I bought the original blue couple weeks ago. The color really stands out!
    I don't think they sold out of the older version, so if people are looking for the older version, you just might be able to get it.

16. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Do we have any real world photos of the two side by side or just product renders?

17. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

18. CarlJ macrumors 68000

CarlJ

No comparison photos, sadly, but I have the "old" one, and I've seen the new one in the store- seems a little lighter and a little "softer" - less saturated maybe? - more of a powder blue.