Has the edge below the trackpad worn down for anyone else?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnnnw, Mar 26, 2014.

1. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I had a palm cover on the top until today and it was almost up the edge but not quite. I thought these marks were just dirt getting under it and residue from the sticker but after removing the protector to my dismay it was actual wearing on the edge where my hand rests of the edge when I'm using the trackpad.

Has this happened to anyone else? What do you do to prevent it?

pictures

[​IMG]

why is happened, don't see much choice in this

[​IMG]

2. accountforit macrumors 6502a

I doubt those marks are from simple hand wear. Something harder than the aluminum caused those marks.

3. johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I am ridiculously careful with this computer. I honestly can't think of anything that would of rubbed up against it. When I travel with it it goes in a case lined with soft material and that isn't very often.

All I rest of the time it sits on my bed where I use it.

4. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

This used to happen on powerbook g4s fairly often, I think it was described as pitting/erosion from the hands.

5. johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Damn. This is very unfortunate. I saw it before this but as I said it was almost covered so I couldn't tell what is was until I removed the protector.

I'm thinking about putting tape on the edge or something to prevent this from getting worse but I don't know if it's a good idea.

6. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

No, it's from you hand. It happens a lot and it's always on the right side (for right handed people). I've already got a few small spots on my new rMBP and I just got it 4-5 months ago.

----------

Why would you put ugly tape to coverup a small visual defect? I just consider it normal wear and tear.

7. johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I feel like it will become more and more noticeable and I don't want that especially if I plan on selling it for a new one:(

8. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I guess I can see that, I've never seen it get significantly worse than what you have. How long have you had your computer? I just consider it normal wear and tear, that's what happens, just like the little rubber feet on the bottom of the computer get scuffed and worn down over the years.

9. johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I got it last January, you're right it's kinda normal wear and tear but it makes it look worn for reselling. At least the rubber feet aren't noticeable during daily use

10. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I call it "lovingly used". :p

11. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Meh, normal wear is not a big deal for selling used, keeping the computer clean IS. It's gross when you see computers on craigslist that have fingerprints and grease and stuff all over them. Gross!

12. 5to1 macrumors regular

Odd I've never seen this (touch wood) even on a pre-unibody machine.

Curious if its down to variations in material, usage characteristics, ones sweat, ambient conditions, other materials/substances the machine or user comes into contact with or a combination of all of that.

In your case OP it could also be something that got trapped between your cover and the chassis. Unfortunately this is a downside of such protectors/covers, if something does get under them, its going to stay there and grind between the cover and the machine :(

13. johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Fortunately this would of not of been the case in this instance. It was a few mm off the edge towards the keyboard so nothing was over top of the edge:)

I know what you mean though, this is why I don't use hard shell cases. Stuff can get under them and scratch the computer. I do however use an iCarbons wrap so nothing can get under.

14. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

It happens all the time with MBPs that have never had a case.