Has the first "replacement" 4850 been received?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MTShipp, Apr 20, 2009.

  1. MTShipp macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2009
    Location:
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    #1
    Has anyone with the freezing issue received their replacement machine yet?

    Also, I am no lawyer, but when could the California Lemon Law or a class action lawsuit be initiated?
     
  2. Tymbo macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2009
    #2
    My replacement is estimated for delivery between April 24-28, but has not yet been shipped.

    Hopefully much sooner! :s

    I sent it back for replacement last Wednesday.

    How about you?
     
  3. fjaekel macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2009
    #3
    Got my replacement today. Same problem after one hour.
     
  4. zedsdead macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2007
    #4
    I don't think the replacements are going to help much, unless you get lucky because the issue has not been worked out by Apple. It likely needs a firmware update like the original aluminum macs needed (I was lucky not to get a bad one back then, not so lucky now with all the Air issues I am having though).
     
  5. Tymbo macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2009
    #5
    Are you calling them right now? Because you really should.

    Like the other thread says, it could very well be the WiFi (you're using wifi, right?). Apple NEEDS to know this. not necessarily that you're using wifi (okay, maybe so), but that there is a SERIOUS problem with the 4850s. If you're allowed to guess, tell them.

    Ask them if they're aware.
    Tell them it's in the news (appleinsider).

    They will sound clueless, but they really need to be aware of this problem.......

    of course, in the long run, they can just keep wasting money by sending replacements that we know won't work.
     
  6. Tymbo macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2009
    #6
    If wifi is truly the issue, then yes, replacements will not work... but it is our duty to keep requesting a replacement until Apple finally tells us, "okay, it's the wifi! we know this now! pls stop requesting a replacement!!!!!"

    Until they tell me, I, personally, am going to keep requesting a replacement.

    I mean, forgive me, I love Apple to death, but at this point, on this date, requesting replacements is the only way for Apple to realize "hey, what's with all the 4850 replacements requested? we need to fix this!"
     
  7. fjaekel macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2009
    #7
    I would call them but its midnight in europe now. They allready sounded clueless at the first time "I have never heard of THAT before" but I dont believe them. I will propably try to get my money back and wait for the problem to be solved. And no Iam not using Wifi.
     
  8. JavaWizKid macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2008
    #8
    What is wrong with the 4850s? That is a card you can upgrade in your iMac configuration purchase right?
     
  9. fjaekel macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2009
    #9
    Yes. They'll let your iMac freeze.
     
  10. fjaekel macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2009
    #11
    I will give you a cookie if you can tell me.

    Edit: And two if you can tell me how to solve the problem.
     
  11. JavaWizKid macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2008
    #12
    OOO I know lol jk. Didn't apple test them before they shipped?
     
  12. fjaekel macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2009
    #13
    Looks like they didnt.
     
  13. GonzoRob macrumors 6502

    GonzoRob

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2004
    #14
    none of us can replicate a freeze - so, even though it's happening to us, we have no idea what's causing it :)
     
  14. JavaWizKid macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2008
    #15
    Now that's POOR from Apple. I thought Nvidia were having all the problems at the moment with the 8xxx, now its ATI, or is this a driver issue by Apple?
     
  15. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2002
    Location:
    Washington, DC.
    #16
    I just ordered mine (not replacement) last Wed. night at 11:30PM EST. It will be interesting to see if orders placed after this problem was well documented on the forums get pushed back to a later ship date. (while Apple works to resolve the issue...we hope)

    I'll keep you posted if I see any movement.
     

Share This Page