Has the image retention problem been solved on the new models?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, Jul 29, 2014.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, I got the 1st generation rMBP 15" two years ago. There was no problem at the beginning for for the past 3 weeks, I see image retention. Has this issue been solved in recently made rMBP 15". Do you expect the today's announced ones will have this issue fixed?

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

No problem with my few week old late-2013 model. LG screen.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think they've largely been solved now for some time.

4. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Anybody knows if the just released ones are using the image retention-free LCD?

5. Rbk23 macrumors regular

The IR has been solved for a while. Beware of the yellowing issue though that affect parts of the screen,

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Yeah, just ask the same question in a slightly different way. :rolleyes:

They've specially gone back to the bad early ones just to annoy you.

7. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

8. ColdCase macrumors 68030

If you are seeing image retention, it has been reported here that its seems to get worse as time goes on.

Are you sing a desktop pattern that is IR friendly?

9. Erphern macrumors 6502

My (mid 2014, 15" 2.5) screen is an LG, model LP154WT1-SJE1.

Looks fine. Could I find flaws? Probably. However, it's a tool. I intend to use it for a couple of years, then buy a new one. MacBooks are designed to be disposable, and that's the best way to consider them.

10. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I took it to the Apple Store. The guy went a checker board test. He said that there is no image retention. As far as I recall, somebody mentioned that the test from Apple did not show any problem but when he tried his own test, they agreed that there is.

They told me that Apple is not going to replace it for free. If there is an image retention problem, I will need to pay about 1/4 the cost of the latest model to get the screen replaced.

11. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It depends. If you had image retention leaving a checkerboard on the screen, they won't replace it for free.

If you had image retention where windows stayed after a few seconds, they'd replace it.

E.g. they will replace screens which are actually faulty/out of IPS spec, not screens which can be forced into something which is actually a side-effect of IPS displays, under conditions which you would never experience in normal usage.

12. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

The Apple store's lighting condition made it more difficult to see the image retention issue.

13. Brian Y macrumors 68040

image retention doesn't show up under certain lighting conditions. If there was an issue, it would show up under any light (you could always have held a coat over it or something if that was the problem).

14. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Which is the best test to show the image retention problem? The guy in the Apple Store thinks that it might be due to a software rather than a hardware issue!

15. pingchp macrumors newbie

Mine just got mid 2014 model 15" no image retention, no yellowish.

16. jg321 macrumors 6502

Wow! They really are taking the biscuit here! </sarcasm>

13" rMBP late 2013. No image retention that I've noticed. No idea what make my panel is, and it looks great. No yellowing, lovely cool bright image.

17. jadAce macrumors regular

jadAce

Good to hear this (trying to justify to myself getting a 15" rMBP).

If I purchase AppleCare and I see yellow tinting/image retention, will Apple fix it for free?