Has the iPad replaced your laptop?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gamecube117, Mar 14, 2012.

1. gamecube117 macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

I have a Macbook Pro and I think my future iPad will soon replace my Laptop. ​

I never use my laptop because I have a desktop, and I only use my laptop for school. But I could say, after four semesters, I've only used my laptop once. I have to travel two hours for school and bringing that heavy laptop is not worth it - I just stick with the old school pen and paper.

Anyway, I'm really happy that I could finally use my future iPad for school. All my friends use their iPads for school, all the apps, and the fact that they could just throw it in their bag, purse makes me so envious.

I feel like someone who's never wanted a laptop will want a iPad/tablet. Like my dad - he's never wanted a laptop but now he's always playing with his Samsung (don't worry guys, I'm going to soon convert him to an iPad. I'm working on him!) And my mom, who hates technology, is always playing with the Samsung Tablet too!

So, has your tablet replaced your laptop?

[​IMG]

2. colshine macrumors regular

colshine

I don't own a desktop but do have a laptop and iPad. I prefer to take the iPad with me when commuting and surfing around the house. But when it comes to serious work I always use the laptop. I think the iPad could replace laptops for people who only need a computer for casual use.

3. homeboy macrumors 6502

The iPad 2 changed my computing and it made me hold off my purschase of a new laptop.

My digital usage looks like this

iPad: 80%
    • Browsing
    • Email
    • Occasional word processing
    • Shopping

PC: 20%
    • Image editing
    • Downloading torrents
    • Design work in the Adobe suite

I would also add that I'm a young professional who graduated a year ago so my PC needs are minor compared to when I was writing my dissertation and needed a full desktop environment.

4. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

As of now yes. I have a gaming desktop and use that all the time. I just got my masters and am working full time in which i just use the lab's desktops. However, if I was still in school I would probably want a laptop, but as if now I sold my Thinkpad x220 to fund the new iPad. We'll see how long that lasts. Part of me kind of wanted an 11" Air instead...

Things I hope the iPad can replace is watching stuff on the tv. I am cordless now in terms of tv so I stream Netflix, Hulu, espn and HBO (sharing accounts). Anyway I know hbo doesn't support the hdmi out which sucks (Game of Thrones!!) and I'm gonna miss playing emulated n64 with my Xbox controllers on the tv/couch with my gf, as my desktop is stuck in the nook/study.

For most other things the iPad has an app to support my networked hdd to stream my video files, watch shows in bed etc. The higher res and ram I hope will really help me feel like the iPad isn't a step behind like I did with my first gen iPad, which I also sold knowing I'd upgrade.

5. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

A bit off tangent, but is that pic of the entire lecture room full of students using MBPs real? :eek:

That said, I would love to hook up my ipad to my class'es smartboard, but pity it will not be able to access my school's network drive, and copying files over seems like a real pain...:(

6. Jontif macrumors regular

Jontif

Well I sold my mac laptop at xmas because I was using the iPad more and more also I found the laptop - an older PPC one was getting slow.
    So in theory for browing, email and general stuff yes in a way the iPad has replaced my laptop. However, it certainly hasnt replaced my G5 tower as on that I can do CD/DVD authoring, downloading, professional music software and some of the more professional graphics applications are much more comprehensive on the Mac.

7. chris566 macrumors regular

It recently has. I just sold my MacBook pro for a refurbed iMac. While in class the iPad was always used. The MBP never was. When portability was needed, I always used the iPad. I absolutely love it.

8. scottw324 macrumors 6502

For the most part yes. I use my ipad pretty much all the time. My laptop sits in my house and runs as a media server to the 3 Apple TV2s that I have and two ipad 2s that we own. I haven't used the laptop for anything other than downloading torrents, itunes files, or media server. The ipad has pretty much replaced it completely. I stream everything to the ipad from either Netflix or from the computer. I bring the ipad with me most of the time in a slim backpack so that it isn't too bulky. It comes in handy from time to time.

9. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Nope and never will. I don't have a desktop (and never will again) as I prefer the portability factor now. My MBP + 2TB backup drive serve as my "desktop" now. The iPad will sorta be the new laptop however I'll still use both the iPad/laptop normally. Portability is the biggest thing for me.

10. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

The iPad will never replace my MacBook nor my desktop. I use my iPad for browsing, social networks, and a few other what nots. I still need my desktop to remote to my pc at work, edit some images sometimes, torrents, etc. I use my MacBook to store music and also use it to DJ as well.

11. pdawg macrumors regular

Depends on the situation. For traveling I bring the iPad, but for heavy duty work, I still use the laptop (editing, etc). Have not been in school for a while (when I was, laptops were uncommon), but I expect it is critical now for even middle schoolers :eek:).

Honestly the iPad is with me as much as my iPhone is :D

12. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I own an iMac and iPad. The iPad keeps me from buying a laptop. My wife would rather have a laptop so I got her a MacBook Air. All my heavyweight stuff I would do on my iMac anyways.

13. kingalien macrumors regular

kingalien

I use my iPad majority of the time but when I need to do heavy editing on documents I have to break out the laptop.

14. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

The first iPad had just come out when I needed to replace my laptop. There was no way I was going to buy the iPad over a laptop. It's still limited in too many ways in IMO. Even though Flash is going away, it still places limits on the iPad. I use an iMac to manage all my music and pic and productivity. The iPad will be for lightweight commuting and pure entertainment (Movies, books, couple of games).

15. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

If only I could import all my raw video files I capture from my PVR and edit game play videos right on my iPad. That would be sweet. Until then...:p

16. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Yes and no.

As far as being mobile yes.

On the go I don't have a need for a laptop.

At home no, but I guess that's due more to me using the laptop as a desktop (design, etc..)

17. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

No. Most of the work I do requires a little more power than the iPad is capable of. Until they create an iPad with 16GB of RAM and a quad core 3.2GHz processor with 2GB of video memory, I'm gonna stick with my PCs.

I'm only buying this iPad for mobile payment transactions. (Plus, I get to write it off as a business expense)

18. AllenA07 macrumors newbie

I'm hoping mine can take the role of a laptop lite. I'm running my own law practice and I need some type of portable computing device. I've got a desktop for use in the office, but needed something for when I meet with clients outside the office, and for trips to court. My desktop remains my primary device for document drafting and client managment. The iPad needs to fill the role of being my portable device that can handle note taking, research, and other functions while out of the office. While I'm on vacation I need the iPad to be able to step up for a week and actually run the office. I could have gone with a laptop instead and gave it real thought, but in the end the portability of the ipad won.

19. timothevs macrumors 6502

timothevs

Yes, absolutely. I find myself just using my iPad for my casual surfing, RSS feeds, Comic book reading needs - while sitting with the Mrs in the living room :)

For everything else I have my iMac.

20. Jarson macrumors regular

Jarson

I used to have Toshiba laptop. It was brilliant, powerful machine. But it was also very heavy and pretty large so it wasn't very suitable for me as I travel quite often to my home country. I decided to sell it and buy an iPad and iMac instead. I do not regret this decision. Desktop + Tablet is the best set up ever.

21. iMule macrumors 6502

I have fully moved to the iPad for everything. Only thing I use MacBook for is FCP and Motion. I wish FCP would come to iOS. The other thing is that little "Choose File" button that forces me to use my MacBook sometimes.