Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UCF-ENG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
They usually seem to beat Apple to the punch, and it would be a solid reason to jailbreak...

Any sensitivity adjustment apps, etc.?

poose22

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2010
I'm pretty sure the only fix is to wait for Apples software update they're working on for it.

venuslight

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2008
i think it's awesome that Apple is able to block jailbreaking with a patch within a week of it's release.

Yet, here we are, 7 weeks after iPhone 4 release and still no fix to the proximity sensor issue.

Way to go, Apple.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
if apple makes a fix for the sensor in 4.1 doesnt that mean you wont be able to jailbreak because the security hole will be filled

Fliesen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Austria
the proximity sensor problem is more a hardware / driver problem than a software / OS tweak issue, which seems to be the main focus of homebrew developers to me

Fliesen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Austria
i think it's awesome that Apple is able to block jailbreaking with a patch within a week of it's release.

Yet, here we are, 7 weeks after iPhone 4 release and still no fix to the proximity sensor issue.

Way to go, Apple.

they are not 'blocking a jailbreak', they are closing a MASSIVE security flaw that opened doors for iPhone worms and malware.
ofcourse THAT's something they can rush out and fix

the proximity sensor fix needs ALOT of testing and tweaking and i don't think they're gonna rush out a half-assed fix.

the PDF reader security flaw was probably easy to fix, but hadn't been noticed before

venuslight

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2008
they are not 'blocking a jailbreak', they are closing a MASSIVE security flaw that opened doors for iPhone worms and malware.
ofcourse THAT's something they can rush out and fix

the proximity sensor fix needs ALOT of testing and tweaking and i don't think they're gonna rush out a half-assed fix.

the PDF reader security flaw was probably easy to fix, but hadn't been noticed before

That's great that they fixed a massive security flaw in a week. It's just too bad that they can't fix a MASSIVE flaw in the operational value of the PHONE within 2 months.

I can't make a phone call without using a bt headset or headphones.

Fliesen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Austria
That's great that they fixed a massive security flaw in a week. It's just too bad that they can't fix a MASSIVE flaw in the operational value of the PHONE within 2 months.

I can't make a phone call without using a bt headset or headphones.

Not gonna say 'youre Holding it wrong' but i myself Never press my iPhone against my face while on a call. No offense, but youre being a bit over dramatic

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Not gonna say 'youre Holding it wrong' but i myself Never press my iPhone against my face while on a call. No offense, but youre being a bit over dramatic

Exactly. There is a correct way to hold your new iPhone. Only your ear should be in contact with the speaker, no other part of your head should be contacting your iPhone. Furthermore, no holding the phone with your left hand, ever. Lastly, when speaking and holding the phone with your right hand, gently lift your right pinky off of the phone. Have a wonderful talking experience.

Steve

venuslight

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2008

Well, I apologize if I'm coming off as "over dramatic" to you, but I'm guessing if you hadn't been able to complete a call without putting it on speakerphone, facetime, mute, or ending the call for 7 WEEKS, you'd probably be a little dramatic too.

It has come to a head today because I had been waiting patiently for an OS update and here comes 4.0.2 today and alas, no fix for the proximity sensor.

So, pray tell, what is the proper way to hold the phone?

I'm assuming you would say I should hold the phone away from my face?

venuslight

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2008
Exactly. There is a correct way to hold your new iPhone. Only your ear should be in contact with the speaker, no other part of your head should be contacting your iPhone. Furthermore, no holding the phone with your left hand, ever. Lastly, when speaking and holding the phone with your right hand, gently lift your right pinky off of the phone. Have a wonderful talking experience.

Steve

Thanks for the advice, Mr. Jobs. I think I'm going to return my fabulous, game-changing iPhone 4 and go back to my old, clunky 3GS that let me touch the screen with my face when on a call.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I had the same problem today.... the call went on speaker 3 times... the screen have to touch your face to have a good and easy conversation I mean that's why the proximity sensor is there for... not cool... at first I thought people was talking trash for nothing but the problem is really there and they need to fix it because I only use my jawbone in the car that's it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.