Has the Late 2008 uMBP 9400m flicker issue ever been isolated?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrXiro, Mar 23, 2011.

1. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Has anyone ever found out the reason why many of the first gen uMBP's flicker when on the discrete 9400m gpu? I'm bringing in my MBP to apple on Saturday to isolate the problem before repair... but the genius mentioned a logic board issue... which I've read on a few posts did nothing when they had their logic boards switched out... in fact for some the flickering got worse.

Has anyone ever gotten it fixed permanently? What did they do?

2. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Well after one OS and several updates, it's not software. It's a hardware problem but there hasn't been an explanation as to why. No one seems to know if it's the GPU itself (although it's likely since it doesn't happen with the 9600M GT) or if it's other components.

4. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Crap... you think it's a waste of my time to take it to the genius bar and have them look at it? I'm pretty sure they'll "isolate" the problem to the logic board, charge me 310 bucks to change it and then it'll start flashing again... :-/

5. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

I had a similar issue with my Late 2008 uMBP and Apple ended up replacing the machine with another Late 2008 uMBP that has been flawless to date.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you have to pay for the "repair", I don't think it's worth it.

7. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Yeah they told me there is a one time repair cost of 310... but that'll cover everything... so I'll have them look at the rattling right speaker at full volume... my internal Superdrive that's acted weird last week and I've since pulled out and got working fine in an external case and the 9400m flicker problem... damn 310 is a lot of money... but I didn't buy applecare... but this is actually cheaper... to go do one time than if I had bought it 2 years ago. :-/

8. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Were you under warranty/applecare? If they give me a new machine I'd be happy as long as it solved my stupid flicker issue.

I'd be perfectly happy with my mbp if I didn't have the flicker.

9. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Bought AppleCare under student discount - it's worth it.

I brought mine in for a repair cause the hinge was cracked. They are going to replace my screen and logic board to fix the flicker issue. Not too bad - hopefully.

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It may be cheaper but you're paying for something that you don't know if will fix it for sure. It's not as bad as the 8600M GT problem but there is a large group of people with this problem.

11. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I don't suppose they'll say... "$310... we fix it until it is fixed or we'll be damned and give you a new one...." :D :apple:

12. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It's not totally off base to think that. It has happened. People would get things replaced or repaired and when the problem reoccurred or a new problem would arise, they would call Apple and were given replacements. Will it happen to you? Maybe or maybe not.

13. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Think I should bother taking it in to get looked at? I mean the diagnosis will be free regardless. But they'll take my newly upgraded baby away from me for a few days... :-/