Has the Macbook Air mid 2013 upgradable SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by iPersian, Jul 15, 2013.

1. iPersian macrumors regular

subject says it all. im helping someone to choose a mac and the person is wondering if its better to use the money on more RAM from apple than SSD.

im thinking that ram (so its better to order it with max ram) is soldiered onboard but perhaps the ssd with 128 GB is ok and can be upgraded later??

2. ylrd macrumors member

ylrd

3. vreihen macrumors newbie

The 2013 MBA uses a completely different SSD interface than the 2012 and earlier models. At this time, it is not available from *any* aftermarket sources like the earlier ones are. If you're the gambling type, order the small SSD and hope that larger ones are available when you need the space. Personally, I'd order the computer the way that you want it now, and you won't regret it later. Oh, and don't cheap out on the RAM, either.....

4. mattferg macrumors 6502

Technically incorrect.

The SSD is removable and replaceable, but finding those replacements is the hard part. Currently no 3rd party are making ones that fit the 2013 model (OWC is working on it) and OEM parts are very very very very hard to come by.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

At best you're looking at several months, possible even a year before vendors like OWC make SSD upgrades available. That said, I imagine PCIe is going to be an emerging standard for ultrabooks, so it's likely upgrades will eventually arrive, just as it did for previous-generation Airs. It's just going to take a while.

6. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

Are there greater technical hurdles for making 2013 upgrades than for 2011 and 2012 models? If I remember correctly, OWC was pretty fast to release those upgrades.

7. mattferg macrumors 6502

Not really - a PCIe drive isn't wonderfully proprietary or complicated, even when made by Apple. My bet's on September, not several months or a year like some 'posters' think.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

THere shouldn't be. if OWC sees it as something worth their while now, then they could probably work on it pretty quickly. it all depends on perceived market interest, not technical issues. If the updated MBPs use the same interface (and they very likely will) then there's even more impetus to do it.

Personally, I'd love to see a 1TB PCIe SSD that I could upgrade my Macbook air with, like I did with my old MacBook Pro.

----------

As a fellow 'poster,' you very well may be right, and that would be a great thing.

9. iPersian thread starter macrumors regular

ok thanks a ton for the replies. I has more interested to know if it will be upgradable in the future since RAM wont be at all if i understand correctly.

i know that i might not exist but i was thinking in the future and if its possible at all.

looks like it is now so thanks to all.

ill advice my friend to buy with max ram and 128 GB SSD.

Another question. will the Air be able to run 3d applications like cinema 4d and film stuff like final cut at all? i know that its not a poweruser laptop but if he wants to do simple 3d and film stuff once or twice.