Has the message preview that Apple "fixed" ever put you in a sticky situation?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by auggie2k, Sep 17, 2008.

1. auggie2k macrumors member

auggie2k

Hey guys and gals!

Just making a thread to see does the message preview ever really get on your nerves? I'm Irish and we text... an awful lot (so much that all our providers now all have some sort of free text offer - which is great) but I can even show my phone to anyone else without the worry that I've get a text from my girlfriend ;) or a friend that maybe someone else shouldn't see?

For instance, my mate Deco's birthday is coming up soon and this chap is excited about playing a didgeridoo - let alone Monkey Ball. Needless to say he was on the phone for about 20 minutes and his girlfriend text me with plans for his "surprise" party in a few weeks - I just grabbed the phone off him as soon as I heard the beep and said I have to make a call, trying to hide my "oh ****" look on my face!

Apple really needs to sort this, it's a real pain.

So far I have password lock on (for 4 hours since I have to use it) and I must put my phone on standby now when I'm expecting a text because Apple thinks that the only person that will be using the phone... is you!

PS: When you press close, my messages are instantly marked read and I get no red circle over SMS - is that normal? I can't remember it being any other way.

PLEASE fix this Apple! :confused:

That is all :D

2. tagy macrumors regular

I agree this is a problem, there should be an option to turn the text preview off. So you would just get a new message symbol on the screen and have to go into the sms program to read it.

3. auggie2k thread starter macrumors member

auggie2k

Yeah just the little envelope icon that Taskbar Notifier provided would be perfect.

[​IMG]

4. auggie2k thread starter macrumors member

auggie2k

I have that active already, it would wreck my head having to keep put in the password everytime I get a text - I'm just hoping for a bit of privacy when the phone is in use. A lot of people have requested this.

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

in use by someone else though. Kinda hard to implement!

Turning off preview decreases it, making just a push notification symbol would be better. But the password is the barrier to access to the phone's private information. How could the Phone tell who was using it? That it had to be locked down at certain times, but not having more layers of passwords when you were using it?
    Confused.

6. auggie2k thread starter macrumors member

auggie2k

It doesn't have to know, that's not my point. Even it it just acted the same way when you have the phone locked (i.e just a note saying "new text message", it would be a huge improvement.

What it really needs is it's normal tone / vibrate reaction with the envelope notification in the corner (with optional message preview of course). I don't know of any other phone that shows the message like that - Motorola's show the sender name yes, but not the actually message. It would even be better if it showed just the first few words.

Must give feedback on this actually, seemed to work with the external volume request on the iPod Touch.

7. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

You could always jailbrake and get iBlacklist (or Kate) - both will hide SMS previews and display a little icon in the corner.

I started w/ Kate and switched to iBlacklist.. Best $12.00 I spent for my iPhone. (The free version will also do the SMS privacy you mentioned above.. I paid $12 as a donation for a great product!)

8. auggie2k thread starter macrumors member

auggie2k

I bought Kate before and had it installed on 2.1 but the SmartDialler feature which didn't seem to be able to turn off - kept crashing when I opened up to dial anyone.

iBlacklist eh? Cydia or Installer?

9. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

instead of talking behind people's backs, I tend to text behind their backs... if I'm out with a group of people, I will usually be texting with someone in the group about someone else in the group (I'm a terrible person, I know). It's a huge problem with an iPhone because everyone wants to play with it, so I'm always worried a text will come though while they've got it.

10. ejrizo macrumors 6502

ejrizo

add me to the list of wanting something like this

11. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

iBlacklist is on Cydia.. The developers are very responsive - I went back and forth with one of them yesterday about a feature requests and they are very cool..

I ended up with iBlacklist over Kate simply because iBlacklist also blocks phone calls - I have a PAYG plan for my iPhone and dont use it for voice, so I can force it to voicemail or a busy signal...

12. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

You can turn off sms preview and set the password lock for 4 hours. That way I only have to put the password in the morning when I wake up.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Umm but doesn't the password lock go on automatically once you lock the phone? I can't imagine you have the phone unlocked all day.

14. samiwas macrumors 65816

Weird. I thought it would be old hat by now. I haven't had one single person ask to play with my phone in about a year. And since I rarely conduct highly personal conversations via text, I couldn't care less if someone read every message that came through. But then again, I'm just out of the "live-to-text & text-to-live" generation by a couple of years.

15. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

If you set the password lock for 4 hours, it will only go on once the phone has been inactive for 4 hours. I do this as well, and I also only have to input the password in the morning.

Well, the iPhone has only been officially available in Canada for a couple months so it's still pretty novel here

16. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

No. Sometimes women will want to poke through the phone and play with it (or apps like Photoswap). I don't care, but I do tell them not to snoop for stuff they don't want to know about. If they really want to read my SMS or look at the call log, free free, but I don't answer questions about those things and the mystery seems to add a sense of challenge in their mind. ;)

17. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.1 PWNed): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I used to do that, but since 2.1 doesn't actually display the sender name or content, I just let it come through now. It's not like I have anything to hide, anyway ;)

18. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

Passcode Protect SMS Messages!

Absolutely! Apple should simply add the option of requiring a passcode to view SMS messages. People are constantly playing with my iPhone to examine the latest application I downloaded and I don't always trust them to not snoop into my text messages.

It should be very easy for Apple to implement...