Has the momentum died down?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by darthbane2k, Apr 15, 2015.

1. darthbane2k macrumors 6502

This is a curious launch.
    With this odd two week pre-launch period, with the uncertainty over 24th April deliveries anyway, with uncertainty that stores will carry any stock, with the press already having published their reports and reviews, and with numbers of customer try-out appointments dwindling, do you think the momentum and enthusiasm over this launch has subdued?
    I think apple got it wrong allowing preorders two weeks prior to launch. Should have been a week at most.

2. mightyjabba, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015

mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

It does seem odd. My only thought is that they may have needed the lead time to help gauge demand and ramp up manufacturing.

3. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

4. Mildredop macrumors 68020

I went into the Covent Garden, London Apple Store on Sunday to have a look at the MacBook. Firstly, I was suprised at how generally quiet the shop was.

As I walked into the shop, there was a huge glass-topped table full of Apple watches and another table which was (I think) for try-ons. I was amazed to see that there were very few people looking at the watches, and those that did seemed to have a quick look, point a bit and then move on.

Also, the only place I hear anyone talking about the Watch is on here. None of my friends/family/colleagues talk about it, nothing appeared on my Facebook when the launch happened and I don't know anyone who has ordered it.

In the tech-bubble that is MacRumors, Engadget, Tech Radar and the like, the Watch is a big deal, but from my experience, I think to the rest of the world, it's nothing interesting.

PS - I never did look at the MacBook because, despite the various photos of it all over the walls (including one that was about 25ft wide), there wasn't a single MacBook in the store.

5. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Well sure it's the quiet time between announcements and launch. Come the 24th interest will explode on these boards and media once again.

6. Ries macrumors 68000

You don't just ramp up production. You have to buy machines, install them, hire people, they need to be trained, "do you even need the extra in the long run, else it just will be an expense not worth it".

7. darthbane2k thread starter macrumors 6502

On these boards.. yes.
    In the media? No.
    They have done their reporting. They are not going to repeat coverage again. We are not going to see any lines outside Apple Stores on April 24th. Far as the media is concerned the watch has already launched by preorder.
    This is what I mean by saying this odd two-week wait doesn't do Apple any favours.

8. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

What I mean is that with so many different models, they might be using this time to tweak the product mix and reflect what people seem to want. Just guessing of course.

9. redrog macrumors 6502

redrog

I have had the same experience, however when the iPhone was launched the same thing happened - a big buzz when it was announced, which then translated into the general population dismissing it and ultimately not many orders. It was only when people got to see its utility in the real world did the interest start to ramp up. Whether this will happen with the watch is anyone's guess.

10. Vanilla Face macrumors 6502

I think its interesting that shipping times for the stainless steel link watch quickly slipped to June but have remained there since. Are they expecting a huge increase in supply/production, or have pre-orders fallen flat?

11. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

This is the time where everything dies down. Even here, everyone has posted most of their questions and opinions. Now we have to wait! And it sucks. It'll all pick up again when shipping statuses start to change.

12. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I have wanted a smart watch for so long and have been waiting (im)patiently for the Apple Watch. I ordered within 3 mins of the pre-orders going live and go the earliest delivery slot, however since then Ive lost interest and don't feel particularly excited. I think it was more of a mission that had become ingrained in me more than anything else.

I know this will probably change when it arrives but at the moment Im not banking on the 24th for a start, and secondly Im concerned that there will be times when I won't want to be nagged by something on my wrist. I can see it being in DND mode outside of work hours as Ive started to grow tired of this constant notification lifestyle I am living (and used to really enjoy).

I became a massive fan of technology long before it became mainstream, back when your co-workers used to think you were odd because you spent the prior evening at your computer. These days however, seeing everyone spend all their time completely immersed in their smartphones and tablets almost ignoring the world around them, posting to Facebook about the wonderful day they are having just because they posted a selfie with the real world in the background, is starting to really turn me off. So, I guess its not the watch as such for me, maybe its technology and they way its used that Im getting disinterested in.

13. TrueBlou, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015

TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I'm thinking of it like the original iPhone launch, being a new product and all. When the first iPhone launched hardly anyone where I live was talking about it. By the time the 3G launched it seemed everyone and their grannie wanted one.

By comparison the  Watch is doing pretty good around these parts.

14. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Yeah to be fair there are currently 400 people viewing the iPhone forum, 337 viewing the Apple Watch forum, and only 100 people viewing the iPad forum. So I guess the momentum and interest for the watch is very much there.

15. zed2 macrumors 6502a

I think the main issue is that we're all in limbo at the moment. Those that want to will already have tried on a watch and ordered one on-line... Now there's nothing to do until next Friday when they start to arrive and we can really start to see how they are being used and work.

16. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I've gone back to actually doing work at work instead of staring at these forums all day. Sad.

17. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Sorry, when I said around here I was meaning where I lived not the forums, I didn't make that clear. I expect those of us on the forums to be somewhat excited :D

----------

Actual work? Dear god no, you don't want to burn out. :D

18. izzle22 macrumors 6502a

izzle22

Just speculation but with all the posts I've read of people preordering 2 and sometimes 3'watches of different sizes and materials than cancelining the ones they don't want after trying them on could have caused a false reading. This may have also caused more supply days after to fill later orders. Again just speculation.

19. inflame93 macrumors newbie

That's only 30% of viewers that were here the few days around pre-order

Your right OP - no-one seems to care except us
    Hopefully that means we get them closer to the 24th!

20. Jungo macrumors regular

yes...

the wave will be when they hit the field - my co-workers are waiting to see mine.

21. nfl46 macrumors 603

Well, it's not like we are getting the watch this week or something. We still have 9 days left. I think it's more or less people are confused. I still think it's crazy they aren't going to have any in stores on the 24th. Ugh.

22. SHNXX macrumors 68000

it's a pretty odd launch for sure.
    the enthusiasm that you normally see over an Apple launch with the whole line at the store and everything is gone.

23. darthbane2k thread starter macrumors 6502

And it is apple who has tempered this itself.
    I think the entire launch was an experiment of a potential new way of doing things, which has ultimately failed.

24. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Failed based on what metric?

25. zed2 macrumors 6502a

Yeah I think Apple set this up for themselves, as they provided so many different choices, but rather than have them as separate items which fit together you have to buy it was one item, so effectively everyone is a custom build. This make it very hard to hold stock