Has the new speaker design killed case design?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by CAWjr, Mar 15, 2011.

1. CAWjr macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    The speaker design on the iPad 1 was easy. Have an opening in the bottom near the dock connector & you were good to go. The new curved rear speaker on the iPad 2 has led to manufacturers just taking a massive bite out of their first gen designs to adapt to the speaker & the result is unattractive (at least to me).

Does anyone think that this "notch" method is just a quick response to get new cases out & that we will eventually see a cleaner mesh or perforated design in cases to adapt to the speaker?
  2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Jul 16, 2002
    Case-Mate has a fulled covered back shell w/ micro holes where the speaker is.

I imagine companies are playing it conservative, having to produce cases w/o having the actual device it fits in to test it with is a daunting task. The last thing they want is to spend & producing a case that renders muffled sound and no one buys. Now that the iPad 2 is out I suspect in the next few months new designs will surface w/ no cutout for the speakers.

I agree I don't like any part of the back exposed b/c I put a back shell on to protect 100% of the back not 95%.

Personally, I have put my iPad 2 in my old iPad 2 sleeve until more inexpensive 3rd party designs ship. The speaker is fully covered yet the sound quality is still more than acceptable.
  3. drenline macrumors 6502a

Aug 8, 2010
    Sucks I can't use my extra invisashields from my old ipad1