Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Toddler

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Hi all,

So Powersupport recently updated their front screen protectors (HD anti-glare and crystal) to include a cutout for the iphone's ambient light/proximity sensor. (See discussion here: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/13676028/)

Have they updated the back protectors at all? I recently bought the three pack anti-glare front/crystal front/crystal back set, and was shipped the old versions of the fronts. Powersupport has graciously agreed to replace them.

But as I was reading the instructions in the set, I saw reference to "separators in the middle of the film's backing," which none of mine have. And the openings for the camera and flash are the two adjoining circles, as seen below. I'm just wondering if they have a newer version that might have a larger opening for those.

a20791a12dc398f54d1ed_l_1.jpg

And while I have your attention, is everything OK with the new front protectors from Powersupport? As you may know there is talk on other threads about Apple moving the ambient light/proximity sensor a couple millimeters to the left, and I'm wondering if the new Powersupport front protectors are cut to accomodate this.

Thanks.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I'm using a spare iPhone 4 Power Support AG, which does not have a cut out for the ALS by the way, on my 4s and it's working just fine.

Kilo-9

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm running the PS crystals on the front and back. I have the new front with the ALS cutout...it works perfectly. I have the back with the adjoining circle cutouts...also works perfectly.

Chrispy650

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
I have the old set too as I got the 3 piece package. No cutouts for the proximity sensor and am using the AG one currently but have no problems with it. The sensor works just fine still. The cutout for the camera is also large enough still for me at least.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I have the old version - got the three pack without the extra cutout and the back with the adjoining holes by the camera. Both work fine with no issue with the proximity sensor and the camera/flash. I really see no reason for the extra cutout on the front and actually prefer it without the additional hole.

The Toddler

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
I have the old version - got the three pack without the extra cutout and the back with the adjoining holes by the camera. Both work fine with no issue with the proximity sensor and the camera/flash. I really see no reason for the extra cutout on the front and actually prefer it without the additional hole.
Yes, I may end up going that route, since I have a black iphone and the screen makes it look like there's a hole for nothing. But Powersupport will send you new versions if you ask for them.

So even those of you that have the newer sets still have a back protector that looks like the above photo?

The Toddler

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
I'm even more inclined to keep the older version on mine now. I just spent about 30 minutes getting the thing on. I'm a bit OCD, so I took a while to make sure the thing was exactly centered around the holes, then a while longer to smooth out the air bubbles, then a while longer to get the bits of stray dust out that were caught underneath. An excellent product. And I have no troubles with the proximity sensor. Now I'm afraid the hole on the newer version may actually interfere somehow, and I really don't feel like going through the installation process ever again!

DK1ng

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
Seattle
i ordered the 3pc pack last week and got them in on friday. the front and back peelings did have the middle/top/bottom separation on them but no proximity sensor cutouts on the front. the back camera cutout is adjoined but i'm not having any problems at all with them

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I'm even more inclined to keep the older version on mine now. I just spent about 30 minutes getting the thing on. I'm a bit OCD, so I took a while to make sure the thing was exactly centered around the holes, then a while longer to smooth out the air bubbles, then a while longer to get the bits of stray dust out that were caught underneath. An excellent product. And I have no troubles with the proximity sensor. Now I'm afraid the hole on the newer version may actually interfere somehow, and I really don't feel like going through the installation process ever again!

I laughed when I read your post. I am the same when it comes to the screen protectors. I put the front screen protector on my phone for a full day and then peeled it back up to reposition as I felt it was off center just a tad. Thankfully the Power Support is as good as it is and allows for a full repositioning. I can usually get a perfect fit the first time using the steamy bathroom trick.

As the proximity protector works fine without the extra cutout, I'd rather have more film on the glass. Sometimes I've noticed that the film doesn't grip as well when there isn't enough surface between cutouts so one less cutout is better in my opinion as long as the function works which it does. I also think the cutout might look a little weird on a black phone where you really cannot even see the proximity sensor.

iBrody

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
Just received my PS Crystal protector (front and back) from the Power Support store (Europe), and mine doesn't include the proximity sensor cut out, which I am quite happy about.

Is it just the US store that currently ships with the proximity sensor cut-out?

shadedred

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2009
I'm running the PS crystals on the front and back. I have the new front with the ALS cutout...it works perfectly. I have the back with the adjoining circle cutouts...also works perfectly.

Same here, on two white iPhone 4S'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.