Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has the throttling issue been blown out of proportion?

• No. In fact, there should be more outrage.

Votes: 115 33.8%
  • No. Apple has received the appropriate amount of backlash and loss of trust.

Votes: 68 20.0%
  • Yes. It’s not as big a deal as people are making it out to be.

Votes: 157 46.2%

• Total voters

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
Very much overblown by the media and, of course, the Apple haters. If it hadn't been, I doubt many people would actually notice throttling (or even know what it is). Now everyone is focused on "Apple slowed my phone down" and are overlooking (deliberately in some cases) "We did this so your phone doesn't shut down while you're using it."

nicksti

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2012
Anyone that believes Apple did this in the best interest of the consumer either has a financial or emotional interest in the company.

Boltjames if this software throttle is only applicable to old phones with old batteries why roll it out to iPhone 7 that can be as new as the current gen iPhones? But I guess you will go to your backup excuse that the battery and CPU in the 8 are better than the 7.

Apple's entire philosophy is built on iPhone users upgrading every year. Unfortunately it seems that they decided bringing out a better phone was not enough; they also undermined the previous gen ones.

Maybe it started as a way to hide a faulty battery but then they realized this is pure gold.

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
My SE was 330 cycles and only about a year old and it was being throttled, most of the time running at 600-900mhz. The minute I changed the battery it jumped to 1800-1848mhz and phone is far more responsive now. So in my experience you can now expect throttling to kick in easily within 1-2 years of your $800-1200 iPhone purchase which to me is unacceptable.
asbolutely. my iphone 6 was down to 67% health after just 1 year and 350 cycles.
[doublepost=1515155456][/doublepost]
Anyone that believes Apple did this in the best interest of the consumer either has a financial or emotional interest in the company.

Boltjames if this software throttle is only applicable to old phones with old batteries why roll it out to iPhone 7 that can be as new as the current gen iPhones? But I guess you will go to your backup excuse that the battery and CPU in the 8 are better than the 7.

Apple's entire philosophy is built on iPhone users upgrading every year. Unfortunately it seems that they decided bringing out a better phone was not enough; they also undermined the previous gen ones.

Maybe it started as a way to hide a faulty battery but then they realized this is pure gold.
that's also the problem i'm having with this. they only added this "feature" to the 7 and 7+ after a whole year and when a new device launched. if it's such a great feature why not add the feature when the phones comes out? oh yeah because people that have faulty batteries will experience slow phones. but slowing them down after 1 year is totally ok? right...

Last edited:

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Of course. It's a non issue. In my opinion, Apple should have just let the bad batteries die. Instead they tried to do the right thing and extend the lives of peoples phones.
sorry dude but if a phone with 90% battery health gets throttled it has nothing to do with extending the phones life :D that's just screwing with people. especially since those batteries will still be good according to apple's diagnosis which is a joke because why throttle a phone cause of bad battery if the battery is still good. easy way for apple to decrease warranty battery replacements that they'd have to do if phones kept shutting off because the batteries are just badly designed or faulty.

Last edited:

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
sorry dude but if a phone with 90% battery health gets throttled it has nothing to do with extending the phones life :D that's just screwing with people. especially since those batteries will still be good according to apple's diagnosis which is a joke because why throttle a phone cause of bad battery if the battery is still good. easy way for apple to decrease warranty battery replacements that they'd have to do if phones kept shutting off because the batteries are just badly designed or faulty.

Sorry dude, but taking a few examples off internet forums and treating them as truth, does not mean what you are describing is a typical occurrence.

Reactions: MacsRuleOthersDrool

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Sorry dude, but taking a few examples off internet forums and treating them as truth, does not mean what you are describing is a typical occurrence.
so you're gonna say that all the geekbench results for the iphone 7 are "just a few examples off internet forums"? those phones are literally 1 year old and the batteries are already starting to go bad and the phones need to be throttled?! and you think that's ok? some people would still applaud apple if they built an imac literally made of crap. thanks apple for "extending" the life of 1 year old phones by slowing them down and not telling your customers! good job!

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
so you're gonna say that all the geekbench results for the iphone 7 are "just a few examples off internet forums"? those phones are literally 1 year old and the batteries are already starting to go bad and the phones need to be throttled?! and you think that's ok? some people would still applaud apple if they built an imac literally made of crap.

I don't have any definite proof of that and neither do you. Let's deal with facts before we just start throwing out claims. Are some affected? Yes of course. Do some of those likely have a bad batch of batteries? Yes. Does every iPhone 7 start throttling as soon as they update to 10.2.1? No, of course not. Could Apple have been more transparent about the issue? Yes, definitely. Should they have just let the phones with bad batteries die so that they could properly identify the problem and replace them? Yes. Apple isn't perfect in this scenario, but yes 100% - it is overblown. Not every phone is throttled. It's a phone, deal with it an move on. If you don't like the way Apple handled it, don't buy iPhone's. They made a business decision and that's all it is.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
I don't have any definite proof of that and neither do you. Let's deal with facts before we just start throwing out claims. Are some affected? Yes of course. Do some of those likely have a bad batch of batteries? Yes. Does every iPhone 7 start throttling as soon as they update to 10.2.1? No, of course not. Could Apple have been more transparent about the issue? Yes, definitely. Should they have just let the phones with bad batteries die so that they could properly identify the problem and replace them? Yes. Apple isn't perfect in this scenario, but yes 100% - it is overblown. Not every phone is throttled. It's a phone, deal with it an move on. If you don't like the way Apple handled it, don't buy iPhone's. They made a business decision and that's all it is.

how much money did Aple made becuase peope upgrade their iPhone due to this intentional slow down?

Not only this is not overblown, Apple also need be fined and shamed.
[doublepost=1515159292][/doublepost]

Of course this is not just few examples. Greedy Apple won't respond if just few examples. Apple would simply laughing at you and demand you upgrade.

Reactions: apolloa and zhandri

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
how much money did Aple made becuase peope upgrade their iPhone due to this intentional slow down?

Haha, you get em man. It's a business, they made a decision, they'll eat whatever cost they have to, they'll lose whatever customers they have to. You as the customer will make a decision where to spend your money next. Obviously it won't be Apple. Live and learn.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Very much overblown by the media and, of course, the Apple haters. If it hadn't been, I doubt many people would actually notice throttling (or even know what it is). Now everyone is focused on "Apple slowed my phone down" and are overlooking (deliberately in some cases) "We did this so your phone doesn't shut down while you're using it."

So? What about these people experiencing random shudoen but denied for battery replacement due to the battery passed the tests?

This is laughable. So many people actually experiencing slow down yet you Apple fan think this is none issue.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Haha, you get em man. It's a business, they made a decision, they'll eat whatever cost they have to, they'll lose whatever customers they have to. You as the customer will make a decision where to spend your money next. Obviously it won't be Apple. Live and learn.

I already decided leave wall gardened Apple ecosystem long time ago. I rather spend 400 dollars on the phone that doesn't slow down and I can replace it whever I can.

Spend thousand dollars on a phone is not something I am interested

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Based on what? What data are you getting this from?

You can dismiss all reports on the forum and think just few examples.

The fact is Apple responded the issue and acknowledges the issue. This is something Apple won't do just because few examples. Remember iPhone 6 bendgate issue? Apple didn't do ****. Apple can simply say "A small amount of customer experience shut down issue and we recommend them contact local Apple store to resolve the problem".

This is obviously not one off thing, there are evidents that Apple slowing the iPhone and hiddig the fact. Anyone who hidding something immediately looking suspicious
[doublepost=1515160266][/doublepost]
That's cool. Looks like this is a non issue for you then.

It is. I have iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, iPad and iPhone SE (my wife used, she is now using Huawei phone). I am not happy about Apple slowing down my devices, even though I am occasionally using these devices. When I do, I can feel this thousand dollars phone actually slower than my 400 dollar Android phone.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL

[doublepost=1515159292][/doublepost]

Of course this is not just few examples. Greedy Apple won't respond if just few examples. Apple would simply laughing at you and demand you upgrade.

I doubt many have upgraded because of this. More likely, it's other issues. Like a worn out battery. You can check to see if your CPU has been slowed down with this app. Tap the hamburger icon in the upper left > Tap this device > Tap CPU. If CPU actual clock equals CPU Maximum clock, then it's not slowed down.
Lirum Device Info Lite by Rogerio Hirooka
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lirum-device-info-lite/id591660734?mt=8

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
You can dismiss all reports on the forum and think just few examples.

The fact is Apple responded the issue and acknowledges the issue. This is something Apple won't do just because few examples. Remember iPhone 6 bendgate issue? Apple didn't do ****. Apple can simply say "A small amount of customer experience shut down issue and we recommend them contact local Apple store to resolve the problem".

This is obviously not one off thing, there are evidents that Apple slowing the iPhone and hiddig the fact. Anyone who hidding something immediately looking suspicious
[doublepost=1515160266][/doublepost]

It is. I have iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, iPad and iPhone SE (my wife used, she is now using Huawei phone). I am not happy about Apple slowing down my devices, even though I am occasionally using these devices. When I do, I can feel this thousand dollars phone actually slower than my 400 dollar Android phone.

Okay, so no actual data? Got it. Okay? I thought you said you left the Apple walled garden years ago. Maybe you should take that advice then.

Bill91LX

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017
Wait, Apple wants you all to actually upgrade and buy new phones?!? The horror.

I continue to fail to understand why some of you live in this utopia where you believe a corporation should be nice and transparent about everything. They never promised you that! The sold you a GD phone. That’s it. No promise that it will always run at a certain speed, or that they will even tell you exactly what they’re doing and why with iOS updates. Don’t like it? Fine. But for those of you acting so indignant, grow up, vote with your wallet and buy something that works better. Oh wait...you can’t find something better? Then just get on forums and complain about how unfair phone life is.

Unbelievable. Lol

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Okay, so no actual data? Got it. Okay? I thought you said you left the Apple walled garden years ago. Maybe you should take that advice then.

I did. I don't purchase anything from App Store, iTunes store. I don't use iCloud. I use Google everything. Works for all devices.

I sometimes still buy iPhone. But that stopped when iPhone 7 cames out. I did not buy anything from Apple since 2016.

There never will be accurate data. If you have looking the forum and reading all these battery gate thread, you will know this is not few examples. Again, how likely would Apple respond if only fee example? I don't believe only few internet examples would trigger Apple apologies. Last time Apple issued appology was Apple Map. Long time ago.
[doublepost=1515161973][/doublepost]
Wait, Apple wants you all to actually upgrade and buy new phones?!? The horror.

I continue to fail to understand why some of you live in this utopia where you believe a corporation should be nice and transparent about everything. They never promised you that! The sold you a GD phone. That’s it. No promise that it will always run at a certain speed, or that they will even tell you exactly what they’re doing and why with iOS updates. Don’t like it? Fine. But for those of you acting so indignant, grow up, vote with your wallet and buy something that works better. Oh wait...you can’t find something better? Then just get on forums and complain about how unfair phone life is.

Unbelievable. Lol

LOL...So lets abolish warranty all together. Some counties require companies prove warranty for more than one year. So let us get ride of warranty all together since they don't need gurantee runs at cenrtain speed or at certain quality.

Hell, let us even get ride of quality control. You know, once a company sell you and transaction is done, it all on consumers.

Hell, let get get ride of all consumer protection regulation. Must be job killing and necessary.

I can go on. Your logic make no sense at all.

You know why a company should be transparent? Honestly. No one will ttsut you anymore, if you are not being transparent. People will think company has something to hide. That all.

Last edited:

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I did. I don't purchase anything from App Store, iTunes store. I don't use iCloud. I use Google everything. Works for all devices.

I sometimes still buy iPhone. But that stopped when iPhone 7 cames out. I did not buy anything from Apple since 2016.

There never will be accurate data. If you have looking the forum and reading all these battery gate thread, you will know this is not few examples. Again, how likely would Apple respond if only fee example? I don't believe only few internet examples would trigger Apple apologies. Last time Apple issued appology was Apple Map. Long time ago.

LOL...So lets abolish warranty all together. Some counties require companies prove warranty for more than one year. So let us get ride of warranty all together since they don't need gurantee runs at cenrtain speed or at certain quality.

Hell, let us even get ride of quality control. You know, once a company sell you and transaction is done, it all on consumers.

Hell, let get get ride of all consumer protection regulation. Must be job killing and necessary.

You know why a company should be transparent? Honestly. No one will ttsut you anymore, if you are not being transparent. People will think company has something to hide. That all.

With both of your posts (I agree with Bill) - Apple is a business and made a business decision when it came to some faulty batteries. If there handling or fix of the issue does not please you, then you have options as a consumer. Again, I feel they should have just let the phones with bad batteries die and should have never throttled the phones to begin with.

Reactions: Bill91LX

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
With both of your posts (I agree with Bill) - Apple is a business and made a business decision when it came to some faulty batteries. If there handling or fix of the issue does not please you, then you have options as a consumer. Again, I feel they should have just let the phones with bad batteries die and should have never throttled the phones to begin with.

They should do is when phone randomly shutdown, they should tell consumer that is battery issue. All they need to do is upfront about it. I think all consumer understand that battery eventually dies. When that happens, you change the battery or replace your phone. The choices is under consumers. What people upset about is not battery is dying. It is about why Apple being upfront about it.

Apple's response is too late. Apple only responded after several lawsuit all over the world and several government intervention. This make Apple looks bad, now all Apple is doing is last minute PR.

Bill91LX

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017

You missed my logic. My logic is that you don’t like it, you go to another option. the hyperbole and utter useless outrage expressed on here is ludicrous.

My logic is also that this is not even an issue for the vast majority of the phone buying population. Millions of people are not going to Apple stores with phones that are so slow they don’t work as advertised, and therefore being dupped into buying a new one. Ironically, they would be doing this if their battery caused a shut down.

No one Said get rid of warranty or consumer protection. But this “issue” is a non event for the vast majority.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
They should do is when phone randomly shutdown, they should tell consumer that is battery issue. All they need to do is upfront about it. I think all consumer understand that battery eventually dies. When that happens, you change the battery or replace your phone. The choices is under consumers. What people upset about is not battery is dying. It is about why Apple being upfront about it.

Apple's response is too late. Apple only responded after several lawsuit all over the world and several government intervention. This make Apple looks bad, now all Apple is doing is last minute PR.

I agree - let the phones die and fix them. Sure, it's late, but it is what it is. Apple or any other company isn't perfect. Either live with it or move on.

Reactions: MacsRuleOthersDrool

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Yes because this is probably the tip of the iceberg what some of these large companies (Apple, Google, Facebook etc...) do without us knowing that we'd not agree with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.