iPhone X Has the XS/XS Max replaced your need for a tablet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dragon4ever, Oct 3, 2018.

1. dragon4ever macrumors member

I have three iPads at home and since I’ve purchased the XS Max I rarely use any of them anymore. The screen is big enough to satisfy my media consumption.

2. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

3. eneisch macrumors 6502a

No, I still prefer switching to using my iPad Pro when I get home.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

No possible way!

Love my MAX but it could never replace my 10.5 iPad Pro for Internet consumption. I use my iPad every single day, multiple times.

If out and about the MAX does a good job, too.

5. PeteS1963 macrumors 6502

We had time same topic come up back when the iPhone 6 Plus was released.

For me the answer is a big NO. I use my phone and iPad for business and pleasure. But when I come back to the iPad it’s such a relief!

6. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

Nope. I still have my iPad 9.7 pro for viewing Netflix and streaming the news.

7. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

Not for me, still love and us my iPad all the time.

8. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

Those extra few inches matter...

...just ask any woman

9. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

No way. I've never enjoyed media consumption on any phone I've had, new Max included, but love my iPad.

10. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

11. BigMcGuire, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018

BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I sold my iPad 2018 because even though I'm on the fence, I just feel like I want one device to haul around and carry around. Helped make the extra cost of the Xs MAX a little easier to swallow too. So I did get rid of my iPad. I do everything on my phone with a bluetooth keyboard to reading for hours and hours.

Reading books on the iPad 2018 was nice and better than the iPhone. But I like having just one device if I can.

12. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

I still don’t see the point of an iPad, if I’m at home then I’ll surf the web on my Mac. If I’m on the go the last thing I want to haul is another glass screen that’s too big to pocket. I don’t need a blown up version of iOS for anything.

13. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

No I love the max and I’m happy to have a big phone again but I’ll still be keeping my iPad pro and iPad mini. I used an iPad mini whilst I had the plus phones too.

I’m a sucker for dedicated devices. I have an eink kindle too.

14. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

No I will always need a bigger screen so my iPad is used a lot but the bigger screen on my max has helped on the sofa for example.

15. OBirder macrumors 6502

OBirder

I am still holding on to my Air 2, but it’s getting much less use since I am in the Plus/Max camp.

When I travelled overseas I decided to take my 13” MacBook Pro and 8 plus. The iPad stayed at home.
    The main reason was that my 2015 MacBook still has USB ports and SD card reader. I had my DSLR along as well.

Going forward I probably need to decide if I upgrade MacBook or iPad Pro. Not for sure that I continue to need both.

16. archer75 macrumors 68020

I've never had a NEED for an ipad. I have one but mostly it just collects dust. Not because of the max but mostly just because I don't have a NEED for it.

17. Sean006 macrumors 6502

this is one of the reasons why i went to the MAX
    i did not realize how much i was using my plus size phones as an ipad replacement till i had the X

before with my plus size phones i never touched my ipad air.....then i found myself using the air more once i had the X

found the X size was good for the pockets but not too good on reading content (IMO) I do a lot of surfing and reading.

Max it is for me...no need for an updated ipad.

18. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

I guess we all must do very different things with our iPads.

Even an XS Max simply couldn't come close to being as great as my iPad for Youtube TV, YouTube, side by side multitasking, Excel stuff, emulator gaming, pip video viewing while using the web, etc

19. Kiimora macrumors 6502a

Kiimora

Nope; completely two different usage for me. I’d always ve’ both

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

My iPad is totally a different type of device aside from my phone, and I use my iPad for different considerations. For example, my phone besides being a communication device, keeps me in touch things going around me in my daily life, but my iPad is primarily for all my media content. I still reserve a place for my iPad, that my iPhone would not be able to replace in my situation.

21. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

I was already sort of not needing my iPad. The Max just makes the iPad even less relevant in my life.

22. treyhunnid macrumors regular

treyhunnid

Nah. Still love my iPad Air 2 for general browsing and YouTube.

23. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

The XS Max won't be replace my iPad for home use, but I'm curious to see how I do using it for non-business travel (when I typically take both). I plan to try relying on just the Max for the next couple of trips to see how that works.

24. now i see it macrumors 68040

I got rid of my iPad (that someone gave me) a long time ago. For me it's too big & heavy & unwieldy. Also it gives me eye strain with its low ppi resolution. For me, an iPad is a loser. Plus sized iPhones all the way.