has the "yellowing" with the MB been fixed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by charlestrippy, Feb 3, 2008.

1. charlestrippy macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

I was thinking about getting a MB in the next couple days for my fiance, but I've heard / read about the whole "yellowing" issue with the MB's....

the articles are from '06 so i know they're old but i was wondering if this issue has been fixed?

i heard it's from the oils in your hands and i've also heard that it comes from under the plastic (so a skin won't prevent it)

thanks, any clarification i would really appreciate :)

2. Fezzasus macrumors regular

seems like it, mine hasn't. Neither has anyone elses that has been bought in the last 6 months

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I had Apple replace my internal case on my MacBook in about July 2007. By the time I sold it in November 2007 it was showing signs of changing colour again. This was the second time this happened.

4. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

i purchased a macbook when they first came out and had no yellowing issues (i was one of the lucky ones)..the top case was replaced however due to it falling apart--

if for some reason you did have an issue, it would be covered under warranty, so i wouldn't stress about it:)

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I had the casing on my 1G MacBook replaced. It wasn't too bad, but the machine was going in for another issue, so I just mentioned that it was a bit coloured, and they changed that too...

The new casing shows sign of some very light grey discolouration on the hand rests after extensive use, but nothing near what they used to look like...

I think you might say they've changed the formula a bit... ;)

6. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

do you think if i put a skin (invisible shield or bestskinsever) on it before really starting to use it - would that prevent it? i know it probably would if it's an oil issue...

but if it's beneath the plastic im worried - but it looks like everyone is experiencing it if they do within the warranty...that's that a positive lol

7. lovemac125 macrumors newbie

I work for a large high school and we have replaced a number of top cases. after they are replaced the issue doesn't re-occur.

8. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

one last question - the difference between the Combo drive and the Dual-
    Layered super drive?

I mean, the Combo drive lets you burn traditional dvd's and cd's right? it just doens't do the DL burning?

9. heatmiser macrumors 68020

You can't burn DVDs with a combo drive; only CDs.

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Sure... but to me that's like keeping the plastic on the sofa... it might keep it "new" longer, but...

;)

11. Fezzasus macrumors regular

Agreed. I don't see the point in keeping something attractive by covering it with something to make it permanently ugly

12. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

hah but how does a clear skin do that? i have one on my mbp and i can't even tell... lol

oh well, dare i use that silly old phrase "different stroke for different folks"

either way, thanks for helping though guys - i bite the bullet and bought it - hopefully a new one doesn't come out for at least another 6 mo lol

13. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

hah but how does a clear skin do that? i have one on my mbp and i can't even tell... lol

oh well, dare i use that silly old phrase "different stroke for different folks"

either way, thanks for helping though guys - i bite the bullet and bought it - hopefully a new one doesn't come out for at least another 6 mo lol