Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D28Z98

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2014
I'm using a 2012 non-retina 15" MacBook Pro. For the work I do it's starting to show its age. I'm starting to itch for an upgrade and I'll be getting a new machine this fall regardless but has there been any talk of a redesign? That always makes it a little more fun. Any word/thoughts on what might surface this fall?

Last edited:

evrard

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2014
Brooklyn
No, I think the only thing that has been rumored is a hardware upgrade nothing aesthetic. The MacBook Air's should see a redesign.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I doubt it

might be a redesign for USB Type C

They may use them but I think the pros will stick with thunderbolt and HDMI ports as well, the retina air may well have only USB C though.

The current design is only 2 generations old I think they will want a bit more before refitting their fabrication facilities.

Woochoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
USB 3.1 can be used with USB A connectors and some vendors (e.g. ASUS) are already offering this on motherboards and add-on cards.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9004/asus-goes-usb-31-motherboards-pcie-cards-and-enclosures-tested

There is no need to install a different connector just yet, so no need for special fabrication to get most of the advantages of USB 3.1. The type-C connector can wait for a little while.

Take for sure that if Apple can make it thinner thanks to the type C USB's, there's no way they'll use type A 3.1 USB's, they will make it thinner no matter what. They are obsessed with thinness (over anything else).

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Ha ha ha

Take for sure that if Apple can make it thinner thanks to the type C USB's, there's no way they'll use type A 3.1 USB's, they will make it thinner no matter what. They are obsessed with thinness (over anything else).

They maybe obsessed with thinness but also profits and it's just too soon for a major design change going by previous design cycles of macbooks. The CMBP was mostly unchanged for 6 years. The macbook air was last redesigned in 2010 etc etc. Maybe for skylake but I seriously doubt there will be a change for Broadwell.

Of course I may be totally wrong as so many supposedly professional analysts are when it comes to Apple. But if there is one thing I have learned over the years I have used macs it is that if you err on the side of caution then you will be closer to apples way of thinking more often than not.

Cicatrix

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2011
Phoenix, AZ

Not true at all. They are obsessed with making premium products. Take a nap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.