Has this been the hardest Apple product to get at launch?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by barrett14, Mar 14, 2011.

1. barrett14 macrumors regular

Has this been the hardest apple product to get yet? I stood in line for both the iPhone 3g and iPhone 4 so I never had to deal with trying to find anything like this before... Everywhere I call its the same story "None in stock don't know when getting more. Bye"

blah

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think there have been similar problems with the first iPhone, and maybe the 3G. It happens, you'll get one eventually.

3. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

A company the size of Apple and with all there resources can't seriously mess every single launch up. I guess they make loads of them, and hold them back to build up hype.

4. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I'm not sure why no one got stock today unless they are just holding them to build up hype. From the sound of it, that's going on at some stores.

5. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

What was hard about it? I drove two miles and stood in a line for a few hours. That's not what I'd call difficult by any measure.

Makes no sense. Apple loses money on product that sits on shelves. There's no rational for them to hold back iPads when they know they can sell as many as they can make RIGHT NOW.

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Tin foil hat much?

7. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Every single product they ever release there is a shortage of. Don't you think that maybe there is a reason behind that?

8. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

9. admanimal macrumors 68040

You mean other than the fact that millions of people want them and only a finite number can be produced in a given amount of time? This coupled with the fact that Apple is trying to run a smart business and not stockpile massively huge amounts of inventory that could potentially go unsold.

10. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

Yes. Manufacturing capacity. Your assertion that it's based on marketing is supported by nothing.

11. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Not that hard to get. The trick is to show up in line before everyone else. If you expected to stroll off the street at 4:30 or 5 on launch day and snag an iPad 2 like some people on this forum were stating, they were sadly mistaken.

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I would say the same. It was sold out for what, at least a month if not more.

13. 9OOYO macrumors regular

I wish all of us could do that (work prevented it this time for me - important meeting).

I also get that waiting in line wasn't too tough. But "Fast, Free shipping" to me is not getting to my door within the 2nd week after ordering.

If I had known it would have been that long I probably would have made other arrangements.

14. admanimal macrumors 68040

Was the iPhone 4 really that bad? I just pre-ordered mine online and had it the day before the release date. I'm pretty sure that pre-orders started at a reasonable hour, too.

15. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

I think the key difference here is that there were no pre-orders. Not having pre-orders... and having 18 different SKUs being sprinkled through supply chains is kind of a mess.

16. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

True.. "Fast, free shipping" was just pure marketing hype. There is nothing fast about it.

17. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

I've never had a problem with the shipping.

18. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I think the biggest difference is the number of different models available. In previous launches, you only had to worry about storage capacity and potentially color. This time you have to worry about 3G capability as well.

I definitely had the opportunity to get an iPad on Friday, but it wouldn't have been the one I wanted. Of course, now I can't get one at all for a while... :(

19. mmoosa macrumors 6502

mmoosa

There was a wait of 2-3 weeks on the apple store until late october (UK) Most definitely agree.

20. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Is it not possible for them to have learnt by now that they should make enough products to last them at least the first week. It's not like their building cars.

Maybe they are scared of image leaks on the other hand.

21. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

There's actually been plenty of tech industry people suggest/speculate (with previous products...namely iPhones) that Apple themselves creates an artificial shortage of products, meaning they have plenty of the product, yet trickle them out, just to create the "sold out/must have product" buzz, which is worth more than any amount of advertising they could do. Just Google "Apple creating iPhone shortage" and read at some of the industry and tech experts that have suggested that Apple does it on purpose. Normally, your theory of "losing money on product that sits on shelves" would hold true, but Apple has a unique position over the past few years. Instead of a shortage being a possible sales risk, Apple has turned it into any "shortages" into a positive sales tool. The normal risk would be that a customer that goes wanting an Apple device and finding it not available, might buy a competitor's product instead (this is a real threat to "out of stock" scenarios for most manufacturers). But with Apple, and the way all of their products have become the "must have" products in recent years, people actually try HARDER to get the devices when they are out of stock. They camp out, they line up all freaking day, go to excessive lengths just to get the iDevices. It does "hurt" Apple in the slightest to have these shortages...just look at all the free press/buzz generated by them. All it does is seem to drive the Apple fans into even more of a frenzy to get the products.

22. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

Do you even know what the term manufacturing capacity means? It means that there's a LIMIT to the number that can be manufactured over a certain period of time. Apple clearly wanted this thing out as soon as possible because several other companies are about to drop their hardware. Hitting the correct moment in the product cycle is critical for the success of the product. Furthermore, it appears that Apple will have sold close to a million iPads in one day, making it arguably the biggest product launch in history... and you're in here complaining that they didn't make MORE of them?? Seriously???

Yeah, I know all that and frankly, I don't buy it. This isn't like the iPhone where Apple was struggling to knock off companies like RiM and Nokia. This is a product that defines the segment. There's no logical reason for Apple to hold back product to spark demand. The demand is already there in spades. There's no doubt in my mind that if Apple could have had twice as many units on shelves on Friday they would have. The game here is to get as many into people's hands as possible right now before they have a chance to buy a Xoom or whatever. The game is not trying to create exclusivity or artificial demand.

23. dmaul1114, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

Yep. A ton more skus then usual and no preorders=hassle of having to wait in long lines last Friday and still worry over getting the exact model you wanted. Online orders also an option, but it seems like the earliest deliveries of any of those are Thurday estimates currently and only for 16gb and 32gb wifi models mostly.

So I'd say it's harder to get the model you want close to launch than for most past Apple launches.

Great free publicity for Apple though with the big lines on Friday and small lines in the mornings since etc. Probably not the smoothest experience for customers though--at least for those who don't like lining up to buy things.

I definitely agree that I think it's silly to think they're manufacturing a shortage. They want to sell as many as they can. They just launched too many skus at once, and have the international launch way too close to the US launch given the current ratio of supply and demand.

24. koollectablz macrumors 6502

Apple is a business in the business of making money - if they could have made enough that everyone who wanted one on day one could have bought one...

They sure as freaking hell would have.

25. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

It happens with other stuff as well, the Wii and Xbox 360 were in very short supply initially. Personally though I think Apple can't afford to have a product stockpiled and images get leaked of the design too early, hence the short supply.

It's not great, but not a lot you can do really.