Has this ever happened to anyone?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thecharlesmoore, Sep 5, 2011.

1. thecharlesmoore macrumors member

Ok, so I saved A LOT of documents from my old PC to a USB stick before I got my MacBook Pro. When I finally got it, I moved all my files to the Mac's hard drive. Every document works and opens just fine, however, 1 document won't even open. It says "You Do Not Have Permission To Open This Document". Of course, i'm using Microsoft Word. Now, I clicked get info on the document and there is no sign of it being locked. Even if it is password protected I see no option of even inserting what I think the password might be, Especially since I never locked the document in the first place -_- Has this happened to you? How did you recover your document?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

3. thecharlesmoore thread starter macrumors member

That sounds like it might work...how would you do that?

4. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

Click spotlight and type "Disk Utility" or until it pops up, open it, click on your main partition (presumably Macintosh HD), then on the bottom slight left there should be an option "Repair Disk Permissions". Click that and let it work.

5. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

Um, i'd back up the documents first, maybe move them on to another HD and try to open them, or just off the drive. Is the Drive NTSF?

EDIT: mybad, you said you were opening from your Macbook after you copied them to the Mac...

6. thecharlesmoore thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so should I back up something before doing this? will it mess the Mac up and/or stop the other documents from working?

7. 156457 macrumors 6502

no, you should be fine. just backup all your files (you should do this regularly anyway) and repair disk perms. it doesn't mess anything up.

8. thecharlesmoore thread starter macrumors member

Awesome! thanks

9. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

Ehh I wouldn't say to do it too regularly, maybe once a week or couple weeks at the most. It's really only necessary when you're seeing problems (or if you constantly install packages or change permissions).

10. thecharlesmoore thread starter macrumors member

It repaired but that document is still saying I don't have permission. :( But honestly, thanks to everyone for the help